Skip to main content

Homestead Tidbits

The two older girls saddled Blondie for some exercise.  Here is my 16 year-old, giving Blondie a head rub.  You can tell she is loving every minute of it.

Since Blondie is still not up to weight, my 16 year-old daughter rode her (lightest one in the house).  Blondie seemed to love her walk around the property, and Misty (left) seems to be intrigued about the new arrival on the farm.

I had to laugh at a comment my oldest daughter made.  She said that Blondie was staring at the towels on the line, and was probably trying to figure out what it was.  She said it was almost as if Blondie was warning the towels they better not try and steal her food. Ha ha ha ha!  Blondie has never see clothing drying on a clothesline before.

Peanut, one of the pregnant lamancha goats has a cold.  Thankfully, we have organic peppermint oil on hand, and it made a world of different for her.  She wouldn't come out of the barn until my daughter went out with the oil.  About a half hour after that, she was out sitting in the sun and breathing better.

I'm up to see the kids off to school, and then it's back to bed.  I got about 30 minutes of sleep.  I could not breath through my nose, and breathing through my mouth was no fun.  I drank about 1/2 gallon of water, and could not get rest at all.  No matter what I tried, I could not clear my nasal airways.  So frustrating.  My eyes are so swollen they hurt.  It's raining here this morning and warmer.

Comments

Candy C. said…
I hope you were able to get some sleep! Have you tried a Neti pot yet? I can't do it myself but my hubby SWEARS by it!
They should let Blondie walk over to the clothesline and check out the stuff hanging there, with nobody on her of course! ;)
Michelle said…
I hope you can get some quality sleep. Have you tried a vaporizer? It helped my daughter when they had a very bad cold.
Sam I Am...... said…
I missed you getting the horse...she looks just like my first horse...Ace...I loved that horse and so did my kids. He was so gentle which was good because we made many mistakes! LOL! She's so pretty! Your girls are too! LOL!
I hope you and the goat feel better soon!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart