Skip to main content

From the Homesteading Journal . . .

 . . . made my first homemade ginger ale and loved it!  I plan to make more of this (more so for health reasons) for a refreshing summer treat.  There are many recipes on the Internet.  I also made a hot ginger tea.  The recipe is from my sister's Indian cookbook.  I am enjoying this, in hopes to speed up my recovery from this cold/sinus/cough/chest pain illness.


Hot Ginger Tea
5 cups water
3 Tbsp. finely grated fresh ginger
6 Tbsp. sugar or honey
1 pinch of ground black pepper
4 Tbsp. lemon juice or orange juice
chopped mint leaves, optional

Boil water and ginger rapidly in an uncovered saucepan, for about 10 minutes.  Stir in sugar or honey, strain, pressing against the strainer to extract as much of it's essence as possible.  Then add the pepper and juice.  Serve hot.

Note:  The flavor varies depending on your choice of sweetener and choice of juice.  

I stored any leftover tea in my refrigerator and reheated as needed.   


Here is the recipe for the Ginger Ale:


Homemade Ginger Ale

2 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated

1 cup water

3/4 granulated sugar

1/2 cup local, raw honey
1 tsp. peppercorns
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
1 tsp. whole cloves
Mix all the above ingredients into a medium saucepan, and heat on medium and simmer until sugar is dissolved.   Remove from heat, place a lid on it, and allow it to steep overnight (or all day).  

Strain your syrup into a canning jar or other container, and add:
Juice from 2 lemons
Juice from 1 lime
Note:  You can also add a vanilla bean to the sauce pot mixture, or add a dash after straining.
Keep in your refrigerator.
 
To serve:  Fill glass with ice, fill glass 1/4 full with syrup, and fill remaining space in glass with club soda.  Stir and enjoy!
Note:  You can also make this by adding more water, and leaving out the peppercorns, for a hot ginger tea.  
Another tip: I have used bottled organic lemon/lime juice, and it's tasted good as well.
 
Enjoy!
   (note:  You might be able to cut back the sugar/honey and have this still taste good)
 



. . . my daughter sold the lamancha wether.  More money for the spring goat fencing supplies.

. . . bartered 2 pints of spiced canned beets and one 1/2 pint of jelly for 3 lbs. of local raw honey.


 . . . the chickens started giving us more eggs during the last warm spell. 

 . . . made my first batch of homemade shampoo with organic liquid castille soap, jojoba oil and some organic essential oils.

  

Comments

Unknown said…
I love ginger ale! Can you post the recipe please? I never thought to make it!
Thanks Nancy, I posted the recipe. Yum!
Tami said…
I didn't even know you could make your own ginger-ale. Sounds like a fun summer project. Thanks for sharing yoyr recipe. Love the glassin the pucture!
Tami said…
I didn't even know you could make your own ginger-ale. Sounds like a fun summer project. Thanks for sharing yoyr recipe. Love the glassin the pucture!
Candy C. said…
Gosh, I love ginger ale too! Thanks for the recipe! I hope the hot ginger tea helps with your congestion/sinus illness.
Sam I Am...... said…
Oh! I love ginger anything and it's so healthy for you! Thank you. I will definitely make these and I'll let you know when I do.
Homemade shampoo...just what I need! I bought some Avalon organic lavender shampoo and love it but pricey although it does last a long time.
Essential oils aren't cheap either.
Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart