Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, February 25, 2013

Running Away Got Me the Flu

I literally took only a few photos this past weekend.  This one was taken when we stopped to stock up on artificial growth hormone free cheese.  

Once we got our cheese, we browsed the countryside, but with only a few things on our minds - inexpensive fencing supplies, hay, and some R&R.

Hubby planned the entire trip, and we very much enjoyed the jacuzzi Friday night.  Saturday night, however, was a different story.

All of our regular lodging locations were booked already.  I'm guessing many folks got their tax returns and were taking much needed winter getaways.  

Saturday, I felt off.  I told hubby we should just pack up and head home Sunday, and not do our usual Sunday trip taking (like we normally do).  He agreed with it.  Even Saturday night I felt off, and didn't feel like eating anything. 

Sure enough Sunday, I woke up sick, and by 5pm, had a fever of 102°F and almost all the flu symptoms you could expect.


The kids enjoyed their Amish baked donuts and bottled Sarsaparilla.  They also, devoured the cinnamon/raisin bread.  All of which, I did not partake in.  I guess we'll have to make another trip to stock up on cheese and foods from the Nature store (where we located more organic meats), and found the best natural cough syrup that works great (but tastes horrible). 

Conversations heard while heading to my bed to sleep:

"I gotta Instagram this!" squealed my 13 year-old taking a photo of her bottle of Sarsaprilla.

"This is on my bucket list!" added my 19 year-old, also holding her bottle of Sarsaprilla. 

My son got sick over the weekend too, so the cough syrup, and natural loose leaf tea were all needed anyway.  My son took out a sharpie, marked his initial on the top of his Sarsaparilla, and put it in the fridge.

I need to wash my bedding, but I am still running a fever.  And yes, they are getting washed in hot water and dried in the dryer (yep! This pioneer is wanting all those bugs killed off today).

Lola, our tetra tint hen is sick.  I hope my daughter can look at her today. 
 

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Sorry to hear you are sick. Get some rest and stay warm. Hope both you and your son feel better soon.

Sam I Am...... said...

I would highly suggest you get flu shots next year! The bugs nowadays are nothing to mess with as I'm sure you can now attest to. You cannot get sick from the flu shot...I've taken them for about 20 years and with a very compromised immune system I am at risk but I've managed to stay healthy and the only illness I've had was a cold I caught from a grandchild that was visiting several years back. The flu shot doesn't protect you from colds. They work against most strains of flu and this year they said the shot was almost spot on as far as the strains it covered. I hope you get better fast and that the rest of your family stays healthy.

Candy C. said...

Oh man, that really stinks! I hope you can get over this flu quickly.
I do love that pretty red barn!