Skip to main content

Running Away Got Me the Flu

I literally took only a few photos this past weekend.  This one was taken when we stopped to stock up on artificial growth hormone free cheese.  

Once we got our cheese, we browsed the countryside, but with only a few things on our minds - inexpensive fencing supplies, hay, and some R&R.

Hubby planned the entire trip, and we very much enjoyed the jacuzzi Friday night.  Saturday night, however, was a different story.

All of our regular lodging locations were booked already.  I'm guessing many folks got their tax returns and were taking much needed winter getaways.  

Saturday, I felt off.  I told hubby we should just pack up and head home Sunday, and not do our usual Sunday trip taking (like we normally do).  He agreed with it.  Even Saturday night I felt off, and didn't feel like eating anything. 

Sure enough Sunday, I woke up sick, and by 5pm, had a fever of 102°F and almost all the flu symptoms you could expect.


The kids enjoyed their Amish baked donuts and bottled Sarsaparilla.  They also, devoured the cinnamon/raisin bread.  All of which, I did not partake in.  I guess we'll have to make another trip to stock up on cheese and foods from the Nature store (where we located more organic meats), and found the best natural cough syrup that works great (but tastes horrible). 

Conversations heard while heading to my bed to sleep:

"I gotta Instagram this!" squealed my 13 year-old taking a photo of her bottle of Sarsaprilla.

"This is on my bucket list!" added my 19 year-old, also holding her bottle of Sarsaprilla. 

My son got sick over the weekend too, so the cough syrup, and natural loose leaf tea were all needed anyway.  My son took out a sharpie, marked his initial on the top of his Sarsaparilla, and put it in the fridge.

I need to wash my bedding, but I am still running a fever.  And yes, they are getting washed in hot water and dried in the dryer (yep! This pioneer is wanting all those bugs killed off today).

Lola, our tetra tint hen is sick.  I hope my daughter can look at her today. 
 

Comments

Michelle said…
Sorry to hear you are sick. Get some rest and stay warm. Hope both you and your son feel better soon.
Sam I Am...... said…
I would highly suggest you get flu shots next year! The bugs nowadays are nothing to mess with as I'm sure you can now attest to. You cannot get sick from the flu shot...I've taken them for about 20 years and with a very compromised immune system I am at risk but I've managed to stay healthy and the only illness I've had was a cold I caught from a grandchild that was visiting several years back. The flu shot doesn't protect you from colds. They work against most strains of flu and this year they said the shot was almost spot on as far as the strains it covered. I hope you get better fast and that the rest of your family stays healthy.
Candy C. said…
Oh man, that really stinks! I hope you can get over this flu quickly.
I do love that pretty red barn!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart