Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Dandelion Vinegar and other tidbits


The weather warmed up nicely, and after getting our last kid (doeling) disbudded, I headed to the flower beds.  It was a perfect time to pull all the grass weeds I left there last fall (gulp).



Timmy joined me, and that always makes me smile.  


After I pulled the dried hostas out, he crawled in for a quick siesta.

I was able to get most of the lower half of my rose bed weeded, but it's still to wet to walk in, so the upper will have to wait.   The afternoon showers won't help speed up that job either.

However, while weeding I struck gold.  I brought my strainer inside, scrubbed roots and washed leaves, and packed them into a jar.  I filled it with organic apple cider vinegar.  




It's my first jar of homemade dandelion vinegar.  I read that dandelion is full of calcium (amongst other wonderful goodness), and the vinegar makes a wonderful topper for summer salads.

In six weeks I will open the jar back up, strain out the leaves and roots, and try it.  If we like this, I'll gather more dandelions this spring (and/or fall).

My kids still think I'm not right in the head.  At least my kids will grow up thinking that dandelions are not just weeds. 

Speaking of my kids and their eyes rolling, our 18 year-old came home from her college class feeling poorly.  She had a fever.  I mixed up tea tree oil and organic olive oil and told her to rub it on her feet right away (she had already taken something for her fever).  She laughed, rolled her eyes and walked away.  This morning however, it appears she used it.  We'll see how she feels when she gets up.

Our oldest daughter, is staying with friends for a few days, and she texted me that her laryngitis is worse.  I gave her a list of teas to try to help sooth it.  I guess she still needs her Mom sometimes.  Later last night, she texted and asked if I had any extra dishcloths, towels, and pot holder sets.  I guess her friends have zero.  She, and I both, are wondering how they did their dishes (or cooked).  I'm guessing they did neither, ha ha!  I dug out what she needed, but told her the towels are plain and not embroidered.  If I have time, I may sit on the porch and stitch a few.   

I'm not sure what workload is on today's agenda just yet.  Splitting wood is on the list everyday.  Maybe I can get calls made, to find out what's required for us to dig the root cellar.

9 comments:

Susan said...

I take it you are finally feeling better - or so I hope! I love dandelions and think of them as my first 'crop'. I have never tried dandelion vinegar - I'll be interested to see what you think. We are so far behind that we will probably be just getting our 'crop' when your vinegar is ready. How can people exist without dishcloths??

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, I am feeling better, but I do limit my time outdoors for now. I had to chuckle about the dishcloth. Before she started going to visit often, it was basically ramen noodles and beer there. More guys than gals and mostly college students. Now she cooks real food for them. She recently made them salmon and roasted asparagus.

Mama Pea said...

You're far enough ahead of us into the spring season that you can (weather permitting) get out to do some of the things you're doing. I'm still eagerly biding my time . . . chomping at the bit. It feels too nice to stay inside, but not quite defrosted (and dry) enough to go full force outside.

The friends your daughter is staying with must think she's an angel from heaven. Cooking good meals AND providing kitchen linens!

Candy C. said...

See, they DO listen to you mom!! :)

Michelle said...

Wish I had read your post before my husband cut the weeds down. Let me know how it turns out. If it works would love to try it.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, it was too chilly for porch time yesterday, but I did get a bit of weeding done. Yes, her friends don't like to see her leave, ha ha!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Candy, I'm so glad to see you here again!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Michelle, we have not gotten are May dandelions, so I may make more. I just happened to find them springing up in the rose bed. One was about to bloom a flower too.

RB said...

Debudded, ouch, but yeah - I know it's necessary and easier to do when they're little.

We're getting shiploads of rain here too, but it's steady and gentle, nothing stormy, and it's such a blessing to see it washing all that thick yellow pollen away down the ditches and drains.

The pollen gets so thick here in NC from the various pine/cedar trees, etc., that when the wind blows, it sends thick clouds of pollen billowing up in the air like smoke from a forest fire, then to come settling down on anything not covered. It's awful here.

I know I'm not the only one to hate it so much, but I told a friend yesterday that if there's pollen in heaven, I'm not going. LOL

God bless.

RB
<><