Skip to main content

Nettle Herb Seasoning ~ Apothecary Clean Up

 






In working on my home "apothecary" clean up, and re-organization, I found one lonely jar of dehydrated, wild picked stinging nettles.  I decided to grind them, and create a homemade herbal seasoning.

To the seasonning, I brought in some dandelion greens and dehydrated those, and ground them as well.  I added that to the nettles, and added homemade garlic powder.

Finally, I will be adding parsley and salt to the mix and using that for meals.

I did not measure anything.  I just sort of eye-balled the amount I ground in even amounts, and in actuality, the salt could be left out.  I tend to salt lastly.

It's my little herb seasoning experiment.  If we like the flavors, we may be trying it with more options - mint, thyme, rosemary, lemon balm, ginger etc.



The rain continues here, and it's hit or miss with picking more wild violets,  wild violet leaves and dandelions.

We had a really bad storm come through the area early evening, and of course we needed to run to town for errands (chicken feed etc.).  Thankfully, the storm tapered off, but the flooding is a problem.

Comments

Betsy said…
The rains have just missed us for several days in a row. Today although it's warm, I have the windows wide, wide open and am enjoying the breeze..
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Betsy, there is flooding in many areas right now. More rain this weekend too. I really want to use my clothesline too (wah!). The grass, dandelions and wild violets are flourishing though. Blessings and hugs to you too.
Jennifer said…
What do you use nettle herb seasoning for? I don't think I have ever heard of it. (A bit of a city girl here!) Just popping over from Debbie's blog. Hello to you!
Jennifer, you can use it about on anything. Vegetables, soups, stews, eggs, pasta, savoring snacks etc. It adds high nutrients to the dish, but I do like to add either lemon balm or a mint too. Depends on what I am adding it to. Add it to pesto dishes, etc.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart