Skip to main content

Rainy, Cold Day Advantage ~ Goat on the Loose



One rainy day, two rainy days, three rainy days, done!  The seat cushions are all done. For one table anyway.  A few need the ties attached, but we can now enjoy them.

I've also been retouching the paint on my kitchen cupboards.  They are getting a good cleaning, and guess what else?  
Made ya' look, didn't I?


After seven years, I am finally putting hardware on them.  The upper cabinets are almost done.  I have two upper cabinets left to do.

There is a little snag in my progress however, so this is on hold now.  I'm kind of bummed, because it's the perfect time to do it (before I get super busy).  

Patience.....

Last night just after dark, we got a knock on the door.  I saw Hubby run past the barn to look at our Buck.  He ran back and then inside.  He took the girls and drove down the road, where supposedly our buck was half way to the next town.

First of all, we all found this very odd, because our buck never leaves the property when he does break a tie-out.  He goes to our door.  Literally.  If he's not in one of the other barns, he knows what door we go out.  Strange, but true. 

I however, stayed, and went out to see how he got loose.  I rounded the barn, and there was Orion.  Tied up and where he should be.  

I was standing in the driveway, in my jammies, when Hubby returned. 

The first thing out of my mouth was, "where in the world did he come from?"

In the truck bed, was a Nigerian buck.  And he has large horns.  Not ours, and not one we have ever seen around here.  Very odd.  Could this be the first case of a goat drop off?  The goat is in good health, and well cared for, but no collar, or indication he was on a tie out.  If he was in a barn, he could have gotten out, but again, we've not seen anyone near us raising goats.  

The girls are already posting it up on facebook, to look for the owner.  In the mean time, we may have to call the Humane Society to find a temporary home for him.  We can't keep him here.  He's in a stall in the big barn (the barn that is getting torn down soon).  He may have torn up the barn last night too, as we have not yet checked on him this morning.  Besides, just having him here, is spooking the dogs badly.  They know something is here that should not be.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Now there's a goat story for you! Sure hope he can be returned to his proper home and people . . . but, gosh! Would someone actually drop a buck goat off on a country road the way they do cats and dogs??? Let us know how it all turns out.
Mama Pea, it's definitely strange. I'll be sure to update on the goat. Hopefully it has an owner looking for it. Maybe he's much smaller than our buck, so I can't imagine him jumping a fence either.
So... the knock at the door was to inform you that 'your' goat was out.
...and no one thought to check your goat!
I find that part hilarious. Because--well, we're the same way! he-he-he
Hope he finds his home or at least a new one-- check the telephone poles, maybe there is a MISSING GOAT sign with a phone number ...kidding again.
(whoops no pun intended)

I'm going now. (hangs her head ...sheepishly)
Ok...now I just need to stop.

I like your cushions?! {smile}
EMMA said…
How odd! shame you can't keep him but I guess who ever dropped him nr your place knew you'd do your best to find him a good home.
Lady Jane said…
We have found dog, a cat, even a cockatoo owner, but never a goat, lol...
Patricia, Hubby did go and look, but never looked inside his shed, ha ha!
Emma, so far today, no one is missing him. He's probably worth some money too. Shame they just dumped him.
Lady Jane, we still have not found anyone who is even missing a goat. It was either dumped on purpose by someone who knows we have goats, or he got out of a trailer maybe traveling? We are 99% certain he's not from around here, hence him being dumped. Goats are not cheap, so maybe they couldn't get him sold and wanted to get rid of him. Not sure.
Sandra said…
Now that is strange, wonder where he came from. Love the cushions, so pretty :)
Sandra, considering no one here raises these goats, nor goat at all (for at least six miles), we have our suspicions.
RB said…
I came home from a graduation party with a crested duckling once, and many dogs and cats on other occasions, but never a goat, ever. LOL

Goats are regular Houdinis at escaping pens, tie downs, barns and such. A neighbor once bought two cute little pygmy goats for his preteen daughter, and I swear, we spent time nearly every day rounding them up and getting them back in their pens until he finally got tired of it and got rid of them.

I hope the previous owner comes for the goat. Seems a good healthy buck would be valuable and wouldn't be something someone would want to lose.

God bless.

RB
<><
RB, I've always joked that folks could "dump" a milk cow, ha ha!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart