Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Homemade Lemon Extract ~ Gratitude


We love lemon here.  We can't grow them, but we can buy them organic, and thus we made lemon extract. This will be ready to use about March 28th (I'm waiting at least 8 weeks to try this first batch). 



I used about 2 1/2 lemons to make 2 jars of lemon extract (1/2 cup of 80 proof vodka in each).  We juiced the lemons, and that, as you know, is useful in so many ways (including homemade cleaning recipes).  You can use more lemon peel if you want.  Organic lemons here sell 5 to a bag. 

When the extract is ready, I will have a few recipes to share, and new recipes to try it with.


 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Woke up to a freezing house, stove had one small cinder in it, and all hot water pipes are froze (sigh....)

So, I made a hot pot of coffee, and sucked it down, and asked the Lord for help.  We can all use help right?

Hot coffee makes everything better.

Today I am thankful for:

1. Electricity, so I can make coffee and heat water to wash my hair and wash up

2. Cold water flowing, so I can water the animals, heat it for washing dishes etc.

3.  Wood on the porch, so I don't have to go far to load the stove again

4.  Ginger root, so I can keep making hot ginger tea to health reasons

5. My dehydrator, year round

6. The printed word, so I can simply pick up my Bible, or a good book off my shelf.  I cringe at the idea that some day there may not be a Bible to hold in my hand, and it will only be available on electronic devices, which depend on electricity to charge and batteries to operate.  Hopefully, that won't happen, and folks like me continue to buy the printed word.

7.  Our pets.  When your down in the dumps, they sure do pick you back up.

8.  A neighbor who came to our rescue and plowed us out, and our mailbox.

9.  God's Grace

10.  Our barn cats.  I have a funny story to share about this.  A few days ago, I heard banging around in the kitchen bathroom.  I found Jasper (house cat) in there.  Then I saw Tiger sitting and watching.  Then a day passed, and our  14 year-old was in there screaming.  Yep.  Another mouse.  We sent one barn cat in, but the mouse disappeared.  We had brought the barn cats inside due to the frigid temps.  So, later that evening, my 17 year-old was at the sink and heard something fall in the bathroom.  She turned around and Sapphire (barn cat) came waltzing out of the bathroom with a large mouse in her mouth.  However, she took it to the living room and let it go.  The kids ended up catching it by hand later that night.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Never lacking for entertainment around your house! I am sorry to hear about the pipes but I am glad to hear you are handling it the way you are. You are teaching your children such good lessons. They will be strong adults some day. Hang in there, spring gets closer everyday.

Sam I Am...... said...

I never use lemon extract so I guess I don't need to make it but it would be nice for gifts.

EMMA said...

Frozen pipes again! you are having a cold winter.
Looking forward to your lemon extract recipes. I used organic store bought extract for a recent bought of flu - great stuff. We can't grow them either which is a shame as I used them daily.
Keep warm!