Skip to main content

Storm ~ Tidbits

 I have not been watching the news at all, and late Monday, I was told there was a bad storm expected mid-week for us.  What kind of storm?  I had to turn on the news to find out.

The storm was rain, thunder, wind, possible hail, and possible tornado.  It came in two parts.  One storm in the morning and one later.  I had charged all the things that needed charged, just in case.  We did lose power, but thankfully it came back on.  

It's 63°F this morning.  Much warmer, but it's flooded almost everywhere around us, area towns, etc.


Home repairs/updates: we ordered, picked up and installed a new window blind for the window.  I do need one more blind for a kitchen window, but that particular size is out of stock.

The remainder of the home repair list is on-going for now.  We tend to run out of time in the evenings.

One mole-chasing windmill has broken from years of use.  It's on the repair list, but we may have to replace it.  It does keep the moles out of the vegetable garden.  We installed another one near the flower beds last season, so time will tell if it helps in that area too.


Gardens:  we picked up two containers of tulips, that we plan to bury into the garden.  It's test one, to see if it will keep the moles out of them, and will still flourish in the containers.  We are also planning to add more hyacinths to the flower beds.  Test two on the tulips will be in the fall, when fall bulbs are planted.  We are finding it difficult though, to find a variety of colors sold in pots this Spring.  Who wants all yellow tulips?  Not me.  We have a ton of yellow with the daffodils. 


Let's talk whole wheat flour . . .

I've had a few slower days lately, so I finally tried a whole wheat roll recipe (had quick oats in them too), and they were a fail for me.  I am wondering if they recipe originated where the altitude is different, because my dough was very, very dry.  I even left out 1/2 cup of the flour.  A recipe fail for me.

I'm on a mission to find a good whole wheat roll recipe, even though it's against my husband's likings (he's all for the white rolls, and I get it).  However, I would still like to have one in my recipe box for large gatherings etc.  Or even to bake and freeze to have on hand.


Has anyone tried the recipe in the Back Woods Home bread cookbook?  Or does anyone have a tried and true, soft and delicious whole wheat roll recipe?



Back in March of 2017, I tried the Taste of Home's Honey Oat Pan Rolls.  They are now rated 4.5 online.  I have a few recipes I may try yet, that rate better than these.

I'm still searching for a tried and true kale/blueberry salad recipe.  I see them on the internet, but I have not found one person who has made one, or even tried one.  I'm just looking for ways to spruce up our salad options, as the weather is warmer and salads are wanted more often around here.

Update on the Nitrogen Cast Iron pan:  Used it twice, and both times we gave it a thumbs down.  The food stuck to the pan in both uses.  I'll give it a few more trials, but so far, it's not even working as well as my regular cast iron pan.

Comments

Faith said…
Try Bread Beckers for the whole wheat rolls. They are on YouTube
Faith, thank you. I will look into that.
Carol said…
I am not good at making homemade bread although my husband would like for me to be. The weather here has been awful as well and now we are facing the floods as many inches of rain move in.
bornfreev said…
Did you "season" you pan first?
Carol, I used to bake homemade breads all the time, but we just don't eat a lot of bread here anymore.
bornfreev, yes, I did, and the instructions for this "nitro" pan say you don't need to. I'll be using it a few more times with other foods to give it a few more tries.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart