Skip to main content

Cold Weather ~ Baked Perch ~ Homemade Kimchi (update)

My goodness!  It's 13°F this morning.  Spring can't make up it's mind around here.  I have the newly purchased tulips and hyacinths (in pots) indoors for now.  I had high hopes to plant them by now.

I am praying this early cold spell in April does not kill my wild violet harvest, or fruit tree blossoms.  I have yet to see one asparagus up either.  It was up much earlier last Spring.


A new recipe tried.  Baked Perch.  Recipe is from allrecipes, but I adapted organic/non-gmo ingredients.  Perch (lake perch from our state) was gifted to us, and instead of frying it this time (vs. beef tallow), I baked it.  In the past I have baked walleye and it turned out delicious.

By the way, in the past I have baked walleye, and it was very good.  I did read the recipe reviews. Some people used panko instead of crushed saltines, some used all grated parmesan cheese.  I found organic/non-gmo saltines, but I'm thinking all parmesan cheese would be healthier and delicious.  Just my thoughts on this.

Note to self:  dry more herb garden oregano this summer


Homemade tarter sauce using home canned sweet pickle relish.

The results?  Well, we both said we liked it, but a thicker fish would be better for baking, like walleye or cod.  It was good, and obviously healthier, but for perch we feel it's better fried.

You most likely could bake any white fish with their recipe (I would think).

I am fairly certain, my husband will insist the next batch of perch be fried in beef tallow.  It's a lighter coating to the fish than the baked, but that's just our reviews on baking vs. frying perch.

Note:  Reheated leftovers in an air fryer make this a more crispy coating and delicious.   I have yet to try it reheated in the oven.


I forgot to give you an update on the homemade kimchi (fermented vegetables).

The recipe for kimchi is found in this book (which I own, but your local library may have it too).

I tasted it as is, and then we strained any liquid, added a bit of mayo to make up a "slaw" and it was very good.  By itself, it is a bit spicy, but overall, we will be making this recipe again for a good healthy addition to our meals.

Cold Weather ~ Baked Perch ~ Homemade Kimchi (update) ©  April 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Faith said…
I'm going to look for the book you mentioned. Fermenting is of interest to me, and since I've got the sourdough down, and now I am making cultured dairy ( l reuteri), I've oredered some things to make fermented vegetable too. It is all very interesting. Cold here also, this too shall pass.
Faith, the book has a lot of recipes and information in it.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart