Skip to main content

Honey Oat Pan Rolls ~ From Pile to File

Last Thanksgiving was my first attempt at making homemade rolls by pre-freezing the dough.  It was somewhat of a fail.

I decided to experiment with other roll recipes.  I made Honey Oat Pan Rolls.  A recipe in my pile of "try its."  This is a "Taste of Home" recipe that was in my 2014 Country Woman magazine and is available online.  The rolls are made with part all-purpose flour, a bit of whole wheat, and oatmeal. Oh, and there is a bit of butter too.  I did not use the Einkorn, only because I am waiting on another delivery.


 These are buttered then removed from the pan to cool.

Although I could not taste them due to this head cold (or whatever I have), the family said they are very good.  I read through the reviews online and a few made them 2-3 days before serving and they were still good.  I may make this my "holiday" roll recipe.

Tips:  Cinnamon-Honey Butter would be wonderful on these rolls. 

I like the fact it uses honey and oats.  Much healthier. And if I can get this recipe to work, with swapping out the whole wheat for einkorn, then it will be even better.

I actually got dressed yesterday (didn't feel the urge to pull on sweatpants and curl up into bed).  I was feeling better, and had more energy, but not this morning. I may have overdone it yesterday.  Guess I'm takin' it easy today, and this drives me crazy.  Hubby picked up some citrus, so I'll be adding that to my already long list of how to kick this bug I caught.

I plan on eating some Cowboy Candy today.  I sure as heck have to find a way to clear my sinuses.   I've already gargled with salt water this morning, so a hot eucalyptus/peppermint steam is next.

Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
So sorry to hear you are ill again. For someone who eats so healthy it seems your family gets sick quite a bit. It must be the germs they bring home from school! The first year my daughter taught she was sick every week, I think. Are you sure there isn't something in your house like mold or something? I know I haven't been ill for years but part of that is my solitary life, I'm sure. I hope you get better fast as gardening season will be here before you know it! Do you start your own seeds?
Those rolls look like something out of a magazine....so sad you couldn't taste them....that's one of the perks of baking/cooking! Take care of yourself!
Mama Pea said…
Rolls look good. I have a couple of recipes in my "To Try" file (box!) that are for dough made and kept in the refrigerator for a few days until the day you need them.

Please do take care of yourself, Kristina. I know we all tend to over-do the first day we feel better and it's hard to keep laying low, but it's necessary for complete healing.
Sam I Am, the kids bring home the germs. One in particular. She was coughing and coughing and right into her hand. That hand touched everything, including my treadmill. Sigh. I can't start seeds until I get a grow house or a room to block off the animals (and some grow lights). The cats eat them just after they start growing.
Mama Pea, I was so excited and walked 1.5 miles yesterday (not my usual 3 or 4). Today, I am seriously taking it easy.
Rain said…
Hi Kristina, oh, gosh, if the Cowboy Candy doesn't do it...I hope your remedies work soon! I don't have the resolve that you have. I run for the cough syrup and Halls because I am the worst baby when I'm sick. My boyfriend makes a mean hot buttered rum for me too, and it almost makes me want to fake a sore throat...I'm lucky though, I haven't had a cold in 3 years now. I guess living like a hermit helps with that! Get well soon, your rolls look DEE-licious! I'm such a sucker for warm soft buttery bread!
Rain, I put an oil/tea tree oil mix on my feet last night, and I slept like a baby. It helps cure the cold too. As I sit here, I can her my 17 year-old coughing upstairs. If she would listen to her mother, she would not be spreading germs around here so much.
RB said…
I pray you get to feeling better soon. Head colds are no picnic.
When testing recipes to freeze, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to try only a small portion first, while doing the remainder as suggested in the recipe. The waste and expense would be less, and you'd still know can be done for the next time.
The weather here is still weird. Cold/rainy, then sunny/rain, then cold again, and then tomorrow it's suppose to be overcast and in the 70s. Mother Nature is sure treating us to a guessing game this year.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, when I try something new, it's typically my vegetarian kids that get picky (oddly).

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart