Skip to main content

Cucumber and Cottage Cheese Toast ~ Support your library ~ More Spring Blooms

Nothing is tastier and more satisfying, than picking freshly grown cucumbers from the garden.  In anticipation of summer garden goodies (trying to pump myself up, because I'm lacking garden mojo this year), I'm trying a new recipe.  More so, I wanted to taste this combination, because it would be great for a hot summer day when eating a full meal seems too much work.


 The credit goes to the cook book "Come Hungry" by Melissa Ben-Ishay. I borrowed the book from the library.  It has a lot of good recipes, and some repeat instructions I already know, but one caught my eye for a high protein snack.  It's nice to have a hearty snack available when we come in tired and worn out from garden work.


If you have dill growing in your herb garden, that is a plus to make this.  Along with a few pieces of homemade sourdough bread.
In the making of this, cottage cheese was one cheese I never got around to making when we had dairy goats here at the homestead.  Do you make your own cottage cheese?  Any recipes to share?  Until then, I'll be buying it, unless I can locate fresh goat milk (most unavailable in our neck of the woods).

Try-it results:  Fantastic!!  We both loved it, and it's the most simple meal/snack you can make.  I hand diced the cucumber and used an entire English cucumber (recipe called for another type, but good luck finding them in stores, and organic). Anyway, this recipe is a keeper for us.  I'm going to borrow the book from the library again.

I told my husband, that if I wasn't already writing a blog, I would be writing one just solely based on recipes tried from borrowing free library books (could still happen so don't go stealing my idea).  I'll admit, when it's a good recipe to keep, it's a happy moment.


More Spring blooms to share:






Blooms from another variety . . .


Red roses gifted to me (and delivered on surprise).  Yes, I was all giddy and all, considering I was feeling pretty low at the moment.  He's working the worst hours a human can possibly work right now (or so it appears that way anyway).  The words "this too, shall pass" are roaming about my brain.

Until next, time, I hope you borrow the book from your library and give the recipe a try.

Comments

Jennifer said…
Hooray for surprise red roses! I enjoyed your post today. Popping over from somewhere in blogland (who knows what trail I followed) but I love all your pretty spring blooms! Hope that roses made your heart smile!!
oh not fond of cucumbers...plain bread with jam for me! Wow pretty flowers!!
Jennifer, thanks, I love red roses, and they were a very huge surprise, that totally made my day. They smell lovely.
Far Side of Fifty, thanks, we had some later blooms this spring.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart