Skip to main content

35 weeks until Christmas


Not much going on in the way of Christmas countdown, other than trying new recipes lately.  I am borrowing books from the library to do this fun research too (other than one recipe).


I picked up one more advent gift, and it was a very good price.  A hand towel and hot pad set.  Yes, it's store made and not handmade, but it was perfect for an advent gift (useful and inexpensive).  I'm working on the next gift, and it will be handmade.

I am still trying to locate stores that offer paper bags.  I have plans to use them to wrap the advent gifts, but it's hard to find paper bags anymore.  I even visited one Wal-mart to find that brown craft paper on a roll.  Nope. Nothing.  I'll keep looking when I am out and about.  


New Recipes Tried and my very first fruit cake!



Butterscotch Shortbread.  I was very much intrigued to try this recipe, simply for the "butterscotch" in the title.  I made the recipe.  It sliced very nicely too.


The recipe for the short bread was in this borrowed library book.  The recipe was very easy to make, but when I pressed it down into the pan, the mixture started to stick to my utensil (I even tried the back of the measuring cup, parchment paper, and even slightly wet hands and they all stuck), and started to lift the mixture back up.  I got it all pressed down (or so I thought), and in the end it was delicious.  However, the dough makes a very, very brittle short bread, and after one bite, the piece falls to pieces in your hands.  Delicious flavor, but the dough is missing something to bind it better.  That was a bummer.  It could just be it needed pressed down more, but again, that was an issue.  We both said not worth keeping the recipe.

On to the next recipe . . .

My first fruit cake!

It has been on my try-it list since Christmas of last year, and it was about time to get it off the list.  The only reason I wanted to try it, is because the recipe was hand written by one of my Aunts, and the note on it states the recipe came from a friend of my Grandmother.

You'd be surprised at what ingredients you can buy in Amish bulk stores, so thanks to finding ingredients, I got to work.

I'm freezing half of it, but everything I am reading says it will only last up to 3 months in the freezer.  Any thoughts?  Am I the only nut baking fruit cake, ha ha!?  I don't know how people mailed this stuff.  It's like a brick with all those dates and pecans in it.  It is very good.  Once I have the recipe shared with all of my family members, I'll be back to write it out to share here as well.  My Aunt wrote, that if you were going to make a fruit cake, that this is the one to make.  One of my cousins also let me know that my Aunt used to make this very bread every Christmas.

Comments

We have a grocery store that offers paper bags, I use them for recycling paper and cardboard:)
I would have tried the butterscotch shortbread also because I love a butterscotch flavor.
Far Side of Fifty, I am hoping to find a store that still uses paper bags. So far I'm running into a big zero.
Anne in the kitchen. It was delicious but if I could find a way to press it down better.
Faith said…
I have always liked fruit cake, and to have a recipe like you have is a treasure, I would try to make too, Good with a nice cuppa of coffee.
Butterscotch shortbread sounds delicious!
Debby @ My Shasta Home, it was delicous.
Faith, it is nice to have a family recipe once in a while.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart