Skip to main content

Jalapeno Salt ~ Dehydrator

Garden season brings us fresh jalapenos, and we use them for so many recipes, canning recipes, salsas, etc.  



In anticipation for summer garden goodies. . .

I had a few fresh jalapenos leftover from a recent meal.  Store bought of course.

I dehydrated those fresh jalapenos per the temperature guide that comes with my dehydrator.  Many people today have dehydrator settings on their actual kitchen stove, or even their air fryer.  I have an actual dehydrator.  I do like my smaller one, now that we are cooking for two.  I am able to dehydrate, using either 1 up to 5 trays at a time, so it's super adjustable.



Once the jalapenos were dry, I ground them in a coffee grinder (specifically used only for such foods/herbs).

I then mixed it equally with salt (and ran all of the mixture in the coffee mill/grinder), and I stored it in an airtight (or re-purposed spice jar) jar.  I used fine pink Himalayan salt for ours.  You can do your measurements however you like.  Don't forget to label her jar.

Use the jalapeno salt on just about anything you'd like to use it on.  I'm thinking this would be good on popcorn too.

We do use a lot of frozen (sliced) jalapenos in recipes all year long, and we use "fire powder" as well, but this combines the two for an easy addition to any meal. 

Jalapenos contain capsaicin, which is said to give you a metabolism boost, as well as provide healthy nutrients etc.

Now, when I cook, and my husband says "it needs jalapenos" which he says almost daily, he can add it quickly.  He can also use our fire powder (a dehydrated mix of mixed hot peppers at the end of the garden season, with no salt).

To read about our "fire powder" see this post:  HERE.

Jalapeno Salt ~ Dehydrator  ©  April 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

I've never thought of making flavored salt with my dried peppers. Thanks for posting this hint!
Today I made the vanilla after reading your blog last week. I made some now so it will be ready for Christmas gifts!
Debby @ My Shasta Home, thanks, I think it will be a great addition to our meals.
Anne in the kitchen, I never did either, until I was trying to figure out what to do with two leftover jalapenos. Ta-da!
Far Side of Fifty, awesome! I gifted the vanilla one year. I bought amber bottles, printed my own "I made it" sort of label, and it was a hit for sure. Useful item, and homemade. I hope your gift recipients love it.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart