Skip to main content

Seedling Heat Mat

 First time to try using a seedling heat mat to start the hottest of the hot peppers.  I typically do not have any problems starting my jalapenos, but the hotter peppers like the Serrano etc. I do.

I bought my heat mat online, and about $10.00 less than at our hardware/garden store (be sure to check reviews).

The one I bought was a simple, plug it in and put your seed tray on it.  There were a lot of "don'ts" so I put my mat and tray on my wood stove hearth (we are not using the wood stove right now).



In 6 days the serrano pepper seeds started to sprout.

In 7 days the cayenne started to sprout.

In 9 days the Datil started sprouting.  Did you know these are native to St. Augustine, FL?  I just learned this fun fact.

In 10 days the Cherry Bomb peppers, and Anaheim peppers started to sprout.

My hot banana have not sprouted yet (those were saved seeds), so I will keep an eye on that.  So far, it's helped the hot peppers to sprout much better than without the mat.  My jalapeno are not on the heat mat and have all sprouted.






Comments

Carol said…
I do not grow hot peppers, but I wondered if I should use a heat mat to start some of our early plants this year. Have you used one for any other plants?
Carol, I have not, as the other seeds typically come up with grow lamps on them.
Leigh said…
I've wondered about these, so I find your experiment interesting. Sounds like the mat is worth it! Shame is so much more expensive locally. I like supporting local merchants, but sometimes my pocketbook doesn't stretch further than my needs.
Leigh, I never thought of it until I did research on sprouting the hottest of the peppers. I have had trouble getting them to sprout for years. Not anymore.
Debi said…
I've never used a heat mat but wonder if it would help my green peppers sprout. I'm starting them inside earlier this year in hopes that that will work.
Debi, I may purchase another one for my green peppers next spring. I'm having a bit of trouble getting them to sprout all at the same time. The jalapenos, on the other hand, have no mat and all seeds sprouted. My hot banana have yet to sprout though on the heat mat.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart