Skip to main content

Finishing up homemade garlic powder ~ Growing Rhubarb Question

 

Using parchment paper on my dehydrator trays makes this grinding part easier.  I push the dried garlic to the center of the paper, and lift the sides to slide it into the coffee grinder.


The jar I use fits my canning funnel, making that part easy too.  You could use a smaller funnel for smaller jars.  We use garlic a lot, so hence large jar.


I dump out the older garlic powder into a cup with spout, put the new garlic powder in first, then the older on top.  All set for another year (maybe, ha ha!).

It's not exactly a quick job.  I wash all the trays after I dehydrate, so tastes and smells do not permeate into the next dehydrated food.  I wash the coffee grinder and clean out anything that blew off the trays inside the dehydrator.


Question about rhubarb:
Our rhubarb died last year, and we were going to move it anyway.....but...

I believe someone on here bought root starts online one year.  I can only find seeds (organic, non-gmo), and our local produce stand that sold them, closed their doors.

Where can I find them online?  If not, I need to order seeds or check our garden stores here.

Comments

Granny_J said…
Gurneys has starts and you can also have them.
Mama Pea said…
Hi, Kristina! The current R. H. Shumway garden catalog lists two varieties of rhubarb roots. One is $14.95 per root and the other is $12.95 per root. Hope this helps.
Thank you Granny J and Mama Pea, I will look into both of those today.
Carol said…
I have never made my own garlic powder. I love Rhubarb and I was thinking of planting some this year as well.
Sandra said…
I've never grown nor bought Rhubarb roots, so I can't help you with that. The garlic powder sounds wonderful, I go through so much, maybe I need to make my own.
Carol we love rhubarb, but last year's heat wave killed ours. I even make a BBQ sauce with it.
Sandra, if you go to the post the day prior to this one, you can see the tools I used to peel and slice the garlic. It takes a lot of garlic to make a good amount of garlic powder.
Irene said…
I started Rhubarb last year from my own seeds. hoping some of the plants make it through winter. If you want some seeds, I have tons. let me know
Irene, thanks. If I do I will let you know.
Faith said…
I planted one last year, two they never made it. I did order one from Berlin Seeds which we will be picking up at the end of next month.
Faith, where is that place? Is it on 62 going north off of 39 by Troyers? I've heard of it, and think I have seen it before while traveling.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart