Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, February 3, 2023

Cold Day ~ Pouring Travel Soap


We are to have a very cold day today (yesterday's sunrise).  However, we are to warm up after that, so it's not staying long.


One more winter job off the to-do list - making travel soap.  

I am slowly working items out of my closet (total chaos).

The soap base was in solid blocks, so I grated it first.



I decided, after trying both sizes, that the rectangle soap makes a smaller soap, and better for travel.  the oval is perfect for a spare bathroom or gift giving.

I decided to get those made, and soap stored for any traveling this year.  Very easy to make and are great for adding to gifts such as a crocheted washcloth and face scrubbie pad.

Not all of the soap is in that photo, but the bars came out to about $.57/each minus adding essential oil.  I did not (obviously) add any coloring.  I am also sharing some with the kids, but perfect for travel trips/camping and gifting.

In hindsight, I should have made a few regular sized bars, but that job is done.  I have had the soap base for at least 2-3 years now.  The last few years have been rough, so I guess 2022-2023 is a "get'r done" year for us.


A reader asked about melting down slivers of leftover soap.  I do not know about store bought soap (non handmade).  I mentioned you could put your soap slivers into a soap saver bag made with 100% cotton.  

Once you add the essential oil and pour to a mold and then use, I don't think you can melt them down again (with the oil in them).

Photo of a soap saver bag:  HERE

I could not find a photo in my computer photos, so I went looking for a blogpost.  I do not have any here at the homestead.  What I have left is still at the museum gift shop.  There are several patterns online for them as well.

8 comments:

Katie C. said...

Is this something that can be done with all those leftover bits of regular soap? If so , how?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Katie C, this is a specific melt (add essential oils) and pour into molds type of soap base. The ones you buy at the store (non homemade) are made differently. I'll post a photo of the soap saver bags I crochet. You put all your leftover bits (store bought or homemade) into the bag and scrub away. I use cotton yarn to make mine.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Katie it will not let me post a photo here in comments, so I will add it to the blog post

Carol said...

Love the soaps and yes, it looks as though you are getting a lot accomplished this year.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Carol

Katie C. said...

Thank you

Debi said...

I made several soap savers for my daughter in law. She had a special soap to use for a skin condition and wanted to make sure that it dried out between uses. I never thought of putting the bits of bar soap in them but I surely will now! Thanks for the idea!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debi, I know many people like to put a bar of soap in the crocheted bag for a wash cloth, but the original use of it was to put all your soap bits in and then use after the bag was full. Works great by the way.