Skip to main content

Cold Day ~ Pouring Travel Soap


We are to have a very cold day today (yesterday's sunrise).  However, we are to warm up after that, so it's not staying long.


One more winter job off the to-do list - making travel soap.  

I am slowly working items out of my closet (total chaos).

The soap base was in solid blocks, so I grated it first.



I decided, after trying both sizes, that the rectangle soap makes a smaller soap, and better for travel.  the oval is perfect for a spare bathroom or gift giving.

I decided to get those made, and soap stored for any traveling this year.  Very easy to make and are great for adding to gifts such as a crocheted washcloth and face scrubbie pad.

Not all of the soap is in that photo, but the bars came out to about $.57/each minus adding essential oil.  I did not (obviously) add any coloring.  I am also sharing some with the kids, but perfect for travel trips/camping and gifting.

In hindsight, I should have made a few regular sized bars, but that job is done.  I have had the soap base for at least 2-3 years now.  The last few years have been rough, so I guess 2022-2023 is a "get'r done" year for us.


A reader asked about melting down slivers of leftover soap.  I do not know about store bought soap (non handmade).  I mentioned you could put your soap slivers into a soap saver bag made with 100% cotton.  

Once you add the essential oil and pour to a mold and then use, I don't think you can melt them down again (with the oil in them).

Photo of a soap saver bag:  HERE

I could not find a photo in my computer photos, so I went looking for a blogpost.  I do not have any here at the homestead.  What I have left is still at the museum gift shop.  There are several patterns online for them as well.

Comments

Katie C. said…
Is this something that can be done with all those leftover bits of regular soap? If so , how?
Katie C, this is a specific melt (add essential oils) and pour into molds type of soap base. The ones you buy at the store (non homemade) are made differently. I'll post a photo of the soap saver bags I crochet. You put all your leftover bits (store bought or homemade) into the bag and scrub away. I use cotton yarn to make mine.
Katie it will not let me post a photo here in comments, so I will add it to the blog post
Carol said…
Love the soaps and yes, it looks as though you are getting a lot accomplished this year.
Debi said…
I made several soap savers for my daughter in law. She had a special soap to use for a skin condition and wanted to make sure that it dried out between uses. I never thought of putting the bits of bar soap in them but I surely will now! Thanks for the idea!
Debi, I know many people like to put a bar of soap in the crocheted bag for a wash cloth, but the original use of it was to put all your soap bits in and then use after the bag was full. Works great by the way.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart