Skip to main content

Painting Barn Siding ~ Seeds Started and other Tidbits

 In the midst of moving everything from room to room, in order to get floors repaired, my cut barn siding boards were unburied.



I cleaned them up with vinegar water, and let them dry for a few days.  I had the brainy idea to paint words on them for a craft show addition.  These boards have been floating around the house for several years (like about 5 years now), so it was on the "get'r done' list.  

The power went out around 8am yesterday, and it never came back on until after noon.  I was lucky I had just brewed some coffee.  

There was an accident with poles down, wires hanging, and then a substation shut down for a while.

Luckily, my portable charger was charged, and I could not only charge my phone, but my neck lamp too.


Quite fitting of a saying for a time with the power outage, ha ha!  I had stencils for these.


All done, so the only thing to do was to read or crochet.  When power goes out, our water pump goes out.  I could not clean or cook.

Most likely the signs will be put into a storage box, and used for gift giving or donations for fundraisers.  I don't see a good craft show in sight for a few years.

My neck lamp is my favorite way to crochet with extra light, or when the power is out, but I also have these battery operated crochet hooks.  I just don't like the way they made the hook part.  You have less control over your yarn, can't catch the yarn or sometimes the yarn falls off the hook to easily.  Anyway....

Almost all of my garden seeds have been started and grow lights are on.


Extreme Clean Update

What went in the donation box:
-one toddler clothes hanger (they show up out of no where)
-two shirts
-one summer bathrobe
-one baking dish (no handles/edge so getting it out of the oven is a bit of a struggle)

We woke up to powering rain this morning.  It should slow down in a few hours.







Comments

Leigh said…
Battery operated crochet hooks???? You might have given me an idea for my daughter's Christmas present! (It never hurts to start shopping early).

Speaking of Christmas, do you have a solar charger? I gave those as Christmas gifts to the guys in my family one year.

And the signs turned out really well. Well done.
Leigh, we do not have a solar charger, but will be looking into that next. Yes, the crochet hooks are battery operated. They would make a nice gift to a crocheter.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart