Skip to main content

Homemade Noodles

Before I start, there are many cookbooks you can borrow from you library on making pasta.  The very basic recipe is easy to make.  You can make a small batch or large batch of noodles.


The first time (2010) I ever made homemade noodles, I used a pizza cutter to cut my noodles, after rolling them with a rolling pin. They were not "pretty" but delicious.  The first recipe I tried, used egg whites vs. the whole egg. I've since then changed recipes.




I have since upgraded to this beauty - bought used online.


I have two cuts I can make, and hope to buy parts down the road (I keep saying that, but the parts never get ordered, ha ha!).

Here is the recipe I use:
2 1/2 cups unbleached, organic flour
pinch of salt
2 eggs, beaten (I use our home raised eggs)
1/2 cup milk
1 Tbsp. butter

I place it all into my food processor, and allow it to rest for 10 minutes in a covered bowl.  I then roll the dough to 1/8th inch or so thickness.  I run my dough through my machine, but you can simply cut it with a pizza cutter or knife too.  I dehydrate my noodles in my dehydrator for a quicker drying time, but you can hang noodles on rods to dry.  You can also use whole wheat flour if you prefer.  If you do not have a mixer or food processor, simply mix in a bowl and knead the dough by hand.  I also purchased milk and butter organic.  In the past I have had our own home raised goat milk, and made butter from that as well. 


I dry my noodles in my dehydrator in the winter, but in the summer, I can simply dry them on trays, then I store them in gallon zip freezer bags in my freezer.  

Comments

Kim said…
I used to Make all my noodle (by hand) and store them the same way, in the freezer. Nothing better to add to some bone broth when a cold has a hold of your shirt tail!
Mama Pea said…
I used to make my own homemade noodles years ago, and then got out of the habit and just purchased organic ones. A couple of years ago, we bought some things from a couple that was down-sizing and I picked up a pasta maker (looks a lot like yours) but have never used it. Your post may have just spurred me on to finally using it! Thanks.
Sam I Am...... said…
Thanks for the recipe. I made them years ago and used the pizza cutter method. Those machines are pricey! Lucky you!
Susan said…
I'm thinking of trying to make my own GF noodles. I really love noodles, but GF ones are expensive. I never thought of drying them in the dehydrator - brilliant!
Kim, thanks for the tip of bone broth and noodles. Will have to remember that one when I don't feel like making chicken noodle soup.
Mama Pea, I have always wanted to buy the additional parts, but have not. I do use it each time I make noodles. I can make fettuccine or spaghetti.
Sam I Am, I was lucky to find it on ebay years ago. Pretty cheap too.
Susan, it's just so much quicker that way.
RB said…
Our Grandmother made the most wonderful homemade noodles. Sometimes she'd cut them wide, sometimes very narrow, other times like little squares, I think depending upon what she was using them for, but am not entirely sure. She dried them on a pristine cotton sheet she placed over the top of her made bed.
One pasta I remember her making infrequently was that she'd make the dough into a stiff ball and grate it on a grater, sometimes the small side resulting in rice-shaped pasta, sometimes the wide side resulting in an irregular long squiggle.
I recently learned in Hungary they're called Tarhonya (she was Hungarian) which basically means egg barley or egg drop noodles. I think they may be my favorite because they're so quick and easy to make.
Hope everyone's having a great week, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><
Tracy dixon said…
Thank you for sharing
RB, thank you!
Tracy, you are welcome.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart