Skip to main content

Growing Heirloom Peanuts

I'm very late in posting about the peanuts, so it's being posted today.

We grew heirloom peanuts last year.  A small "test" patch area of the garden, and although a few did not sprout leaves, many did.

We planted Negrito Manduvi peanuts, and purchased the starter peanuts from Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co.

We pulled the plants (or I should say "I" pulled them), and allowed the tops to dry before removing the peanuts.



The peanuts were then roasted in the oven with salt.  I think I roasted them at 350°F for about 15-20 minutes.


These peanuts are very small, but tasty.  Most shells were not even an inch long, leaving each nut inside a 1/2 inch long or less. These little nuggets have powerful flavor, even at such a small size.  They have a black skin on the peanut itself.  I guess I should have taken a photo of that too, but I think I posted it last year.

Will I plant peanuts again?  Maybe.  We were lucky to have hot temps, which helps the peanuts grow.  I'm sure we'll find something "new" to plant this coming garden season.

Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
I re member my Mom planted peanuts when they first moved South but I never got to try any. Yours turned out great! I love Baker seeds!
Sam I Am, I'm in Ohio, and they grew great. Hubby was very impressed on the flavor. I would need to plant more for this big family.
RB said…
Gee, I bet we could easily grow peanuts here in south central NC. Bro Tom and the dog go through several bags of roasted unsalted monthly. We get the unsalted cause that much salt wouldn't be good for either of them.
Me, I love them boiled which is weird for someone born in the north, but I got the taste for them when I lived in Georgia.
Thanks for giving me the idea.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, when I was down south for military graduations, we tried the boiled peanuts. I didn't like them, but Hubby sort of did. They were pretty easy to grow. I just watered them outdoors until there was sign of growth, and let the rain take over. Pulling the plants out was pretty easy too. Most just came right out with very little dirt.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart