Skip to main content

Christmas Homemade ~ 2016

We finally had our family get together (a winter, non-Christmas gathering) yesterday, with my side of the family.  I can share what Christmas gifts I gifted.  I ran out of time, then you know, got sick, so it was not very much this past holiday. I had them ready, other than the recipe to attach to the sage (but emailed everyone it, along with what to do with sage).


Jars of homemade Whiskey Butterscotch Sauce.  

We love this stuff!  Only one family didn't get this.  They were headed our way, but had to turn around due to bad weather.  This sauce must be refrigerated, and expires in a month.



Jars of home canned plum jam.  It looks like Christmas so I made several.


Jars of home grown sage was the herb I chose to gift this year.  Sage can be used to make a tea for a sore throat, as well as other medicinal benefits.  It's great on seasoning roasted chicken, frying tofu (for vegetarians), and in pasta dishes.  We add it to our macaroni - pumpkin cheese dish, so that recipe was included with sage.




Bottles of homemade Kahlua were gifted.  If you are interested, here is the recipe I used:  Homemade Kahlua

I'm already working on the list of what to try and make for next Christmas.  The kids keep telling me "don't plan" because we have a history of rotten holidays.  I'll just create some things, and the plans will just fall into whatever they may bring us.  Hopefully good health, wealth and happiness.

I haven't heard from anyone other than my mother, but I hope they all like their homemade, and edible gifts. 


 











Comments

Saundra said…


It just amazes me how so many people cannot be bothered to let one know they like, enjoy, used, the things you make for them. I would have been so happy to be gifted those things. Not the sage though as I have three big plants in my garden.
Love your blog--keep writing, Sandy
Sandy, I think most of the people I gift to here locally, don't know what sage is used for, and do not use many herbs. It's great to know you grow it. I love making homemade gifts. I wish I had more time.
Lady Jane said…
Thanks for that kahluha recipe. I will try it. it looks yummy. Hugs, LJ

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart