Skip to main content

What's Cookin'?

Strawberry Chocolate chip muffins.  These were so delicious.  I sort of made it up.  To save on the organic milk budget, I used powdered milk, then tossed in some leftover mini-chocolate chips.  The family loved these for breakfast or snack.  It uses canola oil, so here is where my canned applesauce comes in handy to stretch that budget too.  Organic oil is not cheap either.


Keeping an eye on rotating the freezer meat stash, I thawed some sausage (not eaten that often).  I whipped up a sausage, potato, turnip green (Ioaded with freezer chives) frittata.

Chowder in the making.  I took this photo before (frozen off the cob) corn, milk etc. was added.  I added garden cauliflower and used onion soup from the freezer to start.  I saved half the sausage from the when I prepared the frittata, and added to half of this for the meat eaters in the house.  YUM!  

Due to unfortunate (health) circumstances at the recent holidays, candy was not made.  I decided to make a batch of hard tack candy. I used Lorann butterscotch flavor, but this year I am looking for organic flavorings.  I have not yet found any.  

I used organic/non-gmo corn syrup, but we just need to tweek the flavorings.

I didn't take a photo, but I also baked up a large batch of spaghetti, popping open some home canned tomato sauce.  I added spinach to the sauce this time, split it for vegetarians, then added delicious organic beef for the meat eaters.  I love making spaghetti, because we have a good supply of leftovers, and I can take a few days off in the kitchen.  Unless I want to bake a side, which we all enjoy.  I am dwindling down the strawberry supply, but our blueberries are in overload.  Maybe more blueberry cookies?  Snack cake?  Something different?  I guess I need to check my butter supply first.

Okay, now I am very hungry for breakfast.  Thank goodness I have a few pieces of frittata.

Comments

Kim said…
I was just about to head to the kitchen to make cheezy eggs with Onion/mushrooms/kale. You frittata inspired me to get a move on! SOmetimes we pull out a few blueberries and eat them while still frozen as "candy". Just a thought in case the butter is running low!
Susan said…
You are definitely making up for lost time!
Mama Pea said…
We, too, have an abundance of our blueberries in the freezer. I might make some more jam from some of them as I think that's my new favorite. Papa Pea loves Blueberry Pie with a streusel-like crumb top crust. I've been mixing them in with our morning oatmeal which is really good. Of course, blueberry smoothies are yummy, but we find in the cold weather we don't drink many smoothies.

You can get organic flavorings from Frontier Co-op. Just type that name in on your search engine and you can order them online, but our organic co-op in town carries them.
Kim, our one dog Jesse, absolutely loves blueberries. I sometimes take one out for him for a treat.
Susan, I think that stint in the hospital caused me to get more done, ha ha!
Mama Pea, I wanted to make steel cut oats with them, but our milk supply is down. I need to shop this weekend. Or next. I too, like a crumb crust pie. Maybe I will bake a pie this weekend. Yum!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart