Skip to main content

Bad Weather ~ Baking with Booze

Weather was nasty. School was canceled.  It's was a perfect excuse to bake a cake for dinner.  We woke up to ice, sleet, slush, then pouring down rain on a layer of half melted ice....then in the evening 55 mph winds.  We may have lost a pillow to the back porch swing (should have run out and collected them, but forgot about them).  It's too dark and early to tell.  When the sun is up, I'll go take a looksee.
 

I dug out my old, hand-me-down cake pan, and baked a maple-rum pound cake with maple-rum glaze.  It was a new recipe that had been floating around the kitchen.  I believe I tore it out of a King Flour magazine.

The results?

Everyone liked it, but I thought it was a bit dry.  Hubby loved it.  Of course he would.  It was the first cake to bake for a few months, ha ha!
 

Dinner prep was easy, as the day was filled with laundry load after laundry load.  I pulled some delicious stuffed green peppers, some corn frozen off the cob, and some sweet potatoes. 

Tip:  When I cook this corn (the only kind I like, ha ha!) I never add water.  It makes it's own water, and I just add salt.  When I freeze food, I leave salt out, because I always salt/pepper when I cook.


Random moment;  email is becoming a thing of the past for my nearby friends.  I don't get emails back anymore.  I'm guessing other social media has taken over their lives.   And in other instances email wins over a phone call.  

The weather is warming up today - up to the 50's by evening.  No need to fire up the wood stove today.  Sort of nice for once, but it is very wet, muddy and messy out there.  I guess that's better than a sheet of ice. 

Comments

hoosier girl said…
I'm guilty of the email thing. I read them and then get distracted. It seems they require a more thought out reply than a quick text or instant message. Maybe that's just me.
Kim said…
And as an added bonus, I bet your house smelled divine.
Susan said…
We've had the same weather - the winds really did some damage last night and into this morning. Oh, that cake looks good! I have a recipe for egg nog spiked with spiced rum that I have yet to make. I think that February is the best month for it - it seems endless and dark...
Sam I Am...... said…
If it's dry you could add some applesauce but the recipe does sound delicious! The organic canned corn I had last night was really good for canned. IT tasted fresh and it had that crispness that you get with fresh corn. I was pleasantly surprised. It was 70 here today but wet and damp and very windy! I hope you found your cushions.
hoosier girl, I think for some of my local friends, they tend to use facebook and messenger instead.
Kim, one of these days I'll be back to baking bread again. I love that smell in the house too.
Susan, we should make February our "Bake with Booze" official month, ha ha! It's also the month our state gets the most snowfall.
Sam I Am, I was thinking of adding some applesauce the next time too. I did find the cushions. They were way out by the road, but thankfully, not across the road. Lesson learned - get the furniture covered for winter (we kind of lost sight of that job when I got sick and winter arrived so quickly).

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart