Skip to main content

Tahini Update ~ Homemade Wheat Thins


I let my homemade tahini sit about 9 days before using it to make hummus.  The oil did not separate.   It was also darker and smelled better than the jar of tahini from the store.



I should have taken another photo comparing the color of each, and it stayed softer too.  The jar of tahini from the store separates quickly and is difficult to stir again.


I found it just, if not more, tastier than the tahini from the store, so I have now restocked my organic, hulled sesame seeds, and non-gmo/organic toasted sesame oil (you don't use much so it last for a while). 

And...


...since I made hummus, I went ahead and made homemade wheat thins.  I haven't made them in a while.  I forgot how sticky the dough was. 


I tried using my marcato to "roll" the dough, but it turned out much easier to roll it myself.  I flattened by hand as much as possible, then rolled, and cut with a dough cutter or pizza cutter.   I ended up with well over 100, but I cut my crackers 1 x 1, which was perfect for dipping. 

Dinner was a successful, pull-it-from-the-freezer/pantry-meal.  Homemade meatballs (freezer), baked then warmed in the crock pot with home canned hot pepper mustard sauce, served over millet (freezer) cooked with homemade vegetable broth (freezer), wilted kale (freezer), and caramelized onions (freezer), along with green beans (freezer), mixed with home canned corn relish.  

Dessert?  We were too full for anything more.  Although I would have opened a home canned jar of applesauce.

I know this was a double protein meal, but I was out of brown rice.  It worked out well for the vegetarians here.  Road were bad again, and there was no way I was asking Hubby to stop at the store and buy a box of non-gmo/organic crackers either.  He's been working double shifts, starting at midnight, for the last two days.  Besides, these homemade ones are much better, and I get more than one box.  It's costs a lot less too.

Comments

Susan said…
I need to experiment to see if I can make that pepper mustard sauce without the flour - maybe with cornstarch. I love the idea of having it on hand, as it sure sounds wonderful! What a satisfying meal that must have been - all from your own stores. Being GF, I like my own crackers much better than the limited selection at the store. Problem is, I also tend to eat more of them! Thanks for the update on the tahini. I will be making my own.
hoosier girl said…
I've been wanting to try cracker making, do you have a link to the recipe? Looks yummy!
Dinner with those meatballs and veggies looks delish! Not sure about the tahini... (have to research that, completely clueless)
the wheat thins look yummy too.
at risk of repeating...
I have those same vintage Corell plates
1½ cups flour, all-purpose

½ cup whole wheat flour

½ cup sugar

¼ teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons butter
or margarine, softened
⅔ cup milk

1 x salt
for the tops, optional *
* not incl. in nutrient facts
Directions

Preheat the oven to 325.

In a large bowl or in the food processor, combine the flours, sugar, and salt.

Cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse meal.

Blend in the milk slowly, using only enough to form a dough that will hold together in a cohesive ball.

Divide the dough into 2 equal portions for rolling.

On a floured surface or pastry cloth, roll the crackers thin, 1/16 to ⅛ inch.

If desired, lightly sprinkle the tops with salt and gently roll over the dough with your rolling pin.

With a sharp knife, cut the crackers into 2-inch squares.

Transfer them to an ungreased baking sheet.

Prick each cracker in 2 or 3 places with the tines of a fork.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the crackers are lightly browned.

Cool on a rack.
https://recipeland.com/recipe/v/wheat-thins-13687
Susan, the mustard sauce really comes in handy.
Hoosier girl, I do think it's linked, but I added it here too
Patricia, it's an ingredient needed to make hummus
hoosier girl said…
Got it! And the link is showing up now, too! Thanks!!
Hoosier girl, you are welcome.
RB said…
I LOVE tahini. That the oil separates doesn't bother me much, I just use it to make homemade vinaigrette which turns out yummy.
I've noticed the chef's on food shows now simply using whole toasted sesame seeds instead of tahini if they're going to be putting what they're making into a food processor to whip rather smooth anyway. Sounds easy and maybe inexpensive.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, the homemade version is much easier to spread. Delicious too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart