Skip to main content

Winter has arrived, and other homestead ramblings

It rained here again.  No big news, considering our monsoon year.  In with a bang, out with a bang.  Although it is a new year, so it can stop now.

I'll let you know of the weatherman was right.  We are to get an inch of snow tomorrow.  We haven't had any snow that has stayed this winter yet.


Seeds are all ordered now.  I just have to locate an organic gardener for plants for the rest.  I really do need my greenhouse built.  

Miracles can happen.

The days are already getting longer, so I don't have to rush to get my laundry down and put away, dinner on the table, and chickens all locked up by 5pm.  I don't have to rush to the big city to deliver Dad's meals before dark now either.  Thankfully, the days are gracing us with more light later at night.

Rainy days do however, give me time to ponder and regroup.  I see a pile of books I received for Christmas, one I am still reading (no surprise there), and...


..another pile from the library.  No surprise there either. By the way this book has many recipes in it. 

I started crocheting a hat for another family member, but meanwhile my knitting needles hold desperately to a half-way knitted dishcloth, while a crochet hook hold tight to a half-way crocheted soap saver bag.  The scrap rug is still being made as I locate scraps of yarn in my ice box of a closet too.  I try to zip in and out before my warm cozy room freezes over (wall will be vented this spring so I won't deal with that any more).


My 19 year-old daughter gifted me a tin of English Breakfast tea.  I've been enjoying it lately. 

I'm thankful I made sage honey this past fall.  It's worked wonders on sore throats.  However, we have been managing to stay much more healthier than last few years. 

I'm researching wood working plans for a new goat shed.  I can't believe I never thought to put wheels on Orion's old shed.  Live and learn. 

Meanwhile the "list" continues to remain a list.  The wet winter has prevented us from clearing the dead trees.  Unfortunately, one of the trees needs to go before we can tackle the "list" again.


Comments

Kim said…
We got rain yesterday as well and it is so warm today that the stink bugs are moving around,
Mama Pea said…
There's something about dealing with outside chores and animals in the winter that makes one go "back to the drawing board" to plan better buildings, shelters or ways of doing things. My wish list contains plans for a barn attached to the house. Hey, they did it in Europe for centuries and it sounds like a good idea to me!
Sandra said…
It always feels like we don't have enough hours in the days, doesn't it? I love rain but yes, when we have non stop for weeks it drives me a little batty lol

The book you're reading looks like one I would enjoy, I will have to look it up :)
RB said…
Raining here again too. I like rain. God can keep the thunder, lightning, high winds and hail though, not that He asks me. And I hesitate to complain about it raining, cause then we might get a drought, and our farmer neighbors don't need that.
God bless.
RB
<><
Kim, it was very warm the other day here too. My Mom was seeing stink bugs too.
Ha! Mama Pea, a barn next to the house? Brilliant! And a door to walk through without going outside too, ha ha!
Sandra, about half the book is recipes. I am enjoying it. So far, it's contained more information on each herb/spice.
RB, we are not getting any thunder and lightning either, but it's pouring down by the buckets still. And this is to turn to snow today (Sunday). Not sure if that will happen. I'm sure the creek is flooded by now.
RB said…
Mama Pea - Early Europeans did indeed have barns or lean-tos attached right to their houses. Some still do. And some put their dwellings in the upper story above the barns, because the body heat of the animals on the first level helped keep the upper levels warmer in winter.
As for the smell, well - I guess they must keep those areas well mucked out, and often even burn the dried droppings from large animals inside their living quarter stoves and fireplaces for warmth.
Brilliant huh.
God bless.
RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart