Skip to main content

Fennel Tea ~ Lemongrass Tea ~ Tidbits

I used Hubby as the "guinea pig" for this tea - fennel tea.  I crushed organic fennel seeds, then made a tea with the crushed seeds.  I have read that is a natural antacid, so I did my research, and it was safe for him to take the tea.
I had tea photos, but forgot to load them last night. 

First, Hubby suffers from severe stomach indigestion and heartburn daily.  He used to belch often until he started taking omeprazole pills.

I've tried for years, to get him to give herbs a try, and he insisted he take the pills.  Pills like these have side effects and cause damage to your kidneys and other organs (according to what I can find on it on the internet).  

Finally....finally....he tried a tea.

He had been sipping fennel tea instead of the pills, and the results?

He agreed to drink it without taking his daily pill.  Keep in mind some people taking prescriptions may not be able to drink this (or any other) herbal tea.  This is simply his experience with the tea.

He agreed if he had no stomach issues he would drink the tea when needed and give up the expensive, unhealthy pills.

Also, the organic fennel sold in the grocery store is not as strong as the organic bulk you can buy from health stores or natural food stores.  I tried both myself.  Of course, growing it this summer is an option too.

Update on Lemongrass tea:  Our 16 year-old had a headache and did not want to take an over-the-counter pain reliever (I think they are finally realizing that "pills" are not always a healthy answer).  I made her a hot cup of lemongrass tea and her headache subsided.  She now asks for a "tea" when she is ailing.  I myself love it!  I honestly think it works better if not just as good as Valerian alone for a "help you sleep" tea.  I will be trying it out a few more times in the evenings.

We do not know yet if our 19 year-old got the job at the dog kennel yet.  She is very hopeful.  There was another girl being interviewed.  If Daughter is chosen, she'll receive a call today or sometime soon.  Keep crossing those fingers.  She really, really wants this job.  

I have to get my car's oil changed today.  I tried yesterday and with kids in and out and one staying after school for science club (yes, I have two science nut kids), I could not get it up to the "big city."  Maybe today.  I wish I was trained on doing it myself, but we don't even have the space in the garage to pull the car in right now anyway.  Some day.....

The chickens are in the winning circle right now.  They killed another mouse in the coop.  Before I let them back in at night I did a complete search for any more to be removed.  

I just flipped my calendar/organizer page to February.  I have a few bills to record and pay and then I must get on with my day.   Hard to believe January is almost over already.  Where did the time go?  

I may just do something very spontaneous today.  You never know.

Oye....you should hear my puppies right now.  It's 7:13am, and they both have a squeaky toy blasting away, ha ha! 



Comments

Kim said…
I am saying a little prayer for the job hunting young lady. She deserves it and would be wonderful with the animals.

Interesting on the lemon grass tea. I may have to put lemon grass on my list of seeds to look for. Do you know if it is invasive?
Mama Pea said…
Oh gosh, I'm really pulling for your daughter to get that job. Wouldn't that be wonderful for all of you!

Kristina, I have a question about lemongrass tea. I want to try it as a sleep aid and don't have any of my own homegrown, but found it (organic) in our co-op. It's dried, of course, and is listed as "Lemongrass - Cut." Is that what I want to use in brewing tea?
Susan said…
Thanks to your wonderful (and thorough) research, I have ordered organic lemongrass for my herb garden. I am seriously thinking of starting a medicinal herb garden separate from my culinary herbs. I didn't realize that fennel tea was good for digestion - another thing to put in my notebook. I use herbal teas for just about everything. I used to be on pills for acid reflux until I took myself in hand and changed my diet and eating habits. Haven't taken one in over a year. We have gotten so reliant on running to the pharmacy for everything. Given the research on long term side effects, I'm surprised there are not more people waking up to the benefits of natural remedies. (I hear you on the squeaky toys - isn't it amazing how rapidly they can get the squeakers going?)
Rain said…
Hi Kristina, I'd love to get your hubby's update. My bf too suffers terrible indigestion and heartburn. We did an elimination diet and found the main culprit, but it still happens too often for our liking and we're stuck on what is the cause. He hates the idea of fennel tea, but I've also read that it's very good for digestion. He pops way too many Pepto's in my opinion...
Kim, I grew my lemongrass in a pot, but the grass will need to grow in a deep pot for the stalks to thicken up (part used for cooking).
Mama Pea, that is exactly what I bought when my own stash ran out. I have to find out if it's invasive or not.
Susan, I came across the fennel info when I was looking up teas for health. I really do like the lemongrass too.
Rain, I don't like Hubby taking so many stomach pills either.
RB said…
Will be interesting to hear how these teas work, cause I deal with both acid reflux and with migraines.
Funny about the puppies playing with the squeeky toy early in the morning. I'll give you another hint, don't give cats a golf ball to play with. No surprise the clonking noise they make hitting baseboards in the middle of the night. LOL
Prayers for a happy safe week ahead for everyone.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, thanks for that tip on the cats. That noise would definitely wake me up.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart