Skip to main content

Read a book? Ha!

I woke up to the downpour of rain yesterday morning, which as you saw in yesterday's post, quickly turned to snow.  I for once, was glad to see it. 

It was my excuse to hunker in for the entire day and do something I do not normally have the time to do - read a book. 

Our 16 year-old was up making us all omelets for breakfast, which started our day out great - potatoes, bacon, green peppers, etc.  Mmmm.



I picked this book from my large stack of gifted books this past Christmas.  By evening, I was still reading it, and eventually finished the entire book.

I have mixed feelings over this book.  I write, so I tend to over analyze.  I don't want to spoil it, but the woman does not live a continued "off the grid" life in this entire book.  She lives that way for about 10 years, and must move due the land owner selling the land.  It's a very interesting book on how she relied on other people's junk to make her rented home livable - no running water, no electric, no toilet etc.  

In many ways, parts of her way of life reminded me of many of my blog world friend's.  I had to laugh when she got fed up with trespassers and went in search of a shot gun to upgrade from a small pistol.  Yes, this woman had guts and didn't back down for even drug makers trying to shoot her in her home.  

I'll be honest, I think I would have a very difficult time going back to living "on the grid" after all those years off.  It starts to cost a great deal of money to live "on" verses "off."  Your water and sewer will form a bill, your electric, the cost of a computer, the internet, appliances (and they do break down and need replaced), and so forth.  

Have I talked Hubby into going completely "off the grid?"  Nope.  Not yet.

I looked at my fitbit and told him that I can't read a book all in one day anymore.  He laughed.  I told him shockingly, my steps amounted to just over 2,000 yesterday.  Ha ha ha!  It was a well worth break from busyness.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Glad you reviewed this book. I've been trying to get it from our inter-library loan system ever since you first mentioned it. I think I still want to read it. It will be interesting to compare her experiences to the years we lived totally off-grid . . . at the beginning without much of any alternative system and then progressing up to a workable battery/generator system.
Mama Pea, I can send you my copy. I plan on passing it forward anyway. She had her kids help her dig an outhouse after using a bucket for a while. She was very creative. I would have love to cook on a stove she had too (her indoor or outdoor one).
Susan said…
I'd like to be next in line, Mama Pea! This has been on my to-read list, too. I think you need to be very creative to live off grid. It would be quite a challenge to start at my age, but I would be willing to give it a try. However, I think the dogs would balk at the lack of a freezer to store their raw food...
Susan, I agree on the dogs. I'd need 50 acres or more so they could run free and catch rabbits and squirrels, while I'm gardening.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart