Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, February 6, 2017

New Recipes ~ New Rug

I told a few folks that I was "taking Sunday off."  Ha!  Well, it sort of happened.  I tried several new recipes in my "try it" pile. 

First, our super bowl food yesterday:

Spicy Thai Chicken Wings.  Made using my home canned habanero-apricot jelly, freshly grated ginger, and fresh cilantro.  Delicious.  Different, and not real spicy as we thought.
  

Stuffed Jalapenos with chorizo and gouda.  This is a Food Network recipe and it is online too.  Amazing flavors with this combination of cheeses - cream cheese, sour cream and gouda.  We made some without the meat for vegetarians, and it too was delicious.  Hubby thinks they would be even better if I wrapped them with bacon.  Of course he does.

Food wasn't the only new recipes.  I whipped up some body butter for the first time.  I've made lotion, but not "body butter."


I did not have the sweet almond oil, the original recipe called for, so I used my calendula infused olive oil.  

(before it cooled completely)

(cooled completely, sorry, sort of a bad photo)

I found many recipes over the years, but just didn't put the time into making it.  I'll be trying it this week.

I also whipped up two types of homemade shampoo.  This one for Hubby.  Rosemary will darken light hair over time, so I made lemon for myself.  All made with ingredients I have on hand.  Organic (or chemical-free) shampoo is rather expensive.


Recipe from Eden Gardens:

Essential Oil Shampoo DIY

Washing your hair just became a whole lot cleaner with our all-natural shampoo.
What you need
1/2 cup Castile Soap
1/2 cup filtered water
16 drops Rosemary essential oil
2 drops Peppermint essential oil 
Container with flip top for ease of use
How to
  1. Pour ½ cup of castile soap to container.
  2. Add 16 drops of Rosemary essential oil.
  3. Add 2 drops of Peppermint essential oil.
  4. Fill the rest of the container with filtered water.
  5. Shake bottle to mix properly.
Note: Use a quarter size amount per use. Shake before each use.
 

Something new in the house. . .

 I needed a rug in front of the gate we have up for the dogs.  Cost?  $5.00.  Inexpensive, useful, and I couldn't haven't found a better one for the homestead.  It works nicely for where we needed one, although these rugs don't wash up easily.  It will do for now.


 

6 comments:

Kim said...

Just a little tid bit on the rug. I have one like that and I take it outside and use the garden hose on it with a bullet tip.I wet it down, spray it with my homemade bathroom cleaner and allow to sit. Scrub if needed and rinse. Hang to dry.

Want to try the shampoo. How is the hair after using it?

Debby Flowers said...

You have made bar soap correct? I make shampoo bars rather than liquid shampoo - of course we both have very short hair. No one with long hair has shared with me how they like it. Might be something to make and try on the short haired folks in your family.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Kim, thank you for that tip. The shampoo works pretty well. I still have to buy organic (chemical free) conditioner.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debby, I have long hair, so I make the liquid hair shampoo. In the past we have made the goat's milk bar soap, but not for hair.

Sam I Am...... said...

Great minds think alike! I have been wanting to make body butter as the lotions are just too watery and of course, filed with chemicals I can't pronounce. I also do buy organic shampoo but was wanting to make my own as it is pricey. You ticked all the boxes for me! Thank you!
I love your rug and the thai chicken and poppers sound delish! I'm with hubby....wrap them in bacon...Oh, I'm so bad!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, I should have an update on the body butter soon. I'm not happy with the recipe I used, but have others to try too.