Skip to main content

Post Snow Storm

 The snow storm has passed, and most places here got about 9-10 inches of snow.  The worst part for us, is that the frigid temperatures now return with a deep freeze.  They are still talking about temps dipping to -25°F after all this snow dumped.  The cold temperatures are said to be with us for the next week.

First issue was to find someone to plow us out.  Second was to shovel a path to the coop, and finally order more pre-paid propane (bad timing) for delivery.  

More snow is on the way.  

Plowing was accomplished, and very thankful for that.  The trash bin will need shoveled out before trash day, but all is well in our neck of the woods.

Deep cleaning is being done, but I ran out of one cleaner I make (does well on any grease on the stove vents etc).  I will need to restock my distilled water (we have well water). Exciting winter news right? Ha!

You know those small vents on the oven door that are inconveniently behind the stove handle?  Thank goodness for saving old toothbrushes to assist in the job.  The vents are all cleaned and looking spiffy.  I often wonder why the handles, and on all appliances, are made with those annoying tiny groves that constantly need scrubbed clean.

Those who own an electric (coil burner) stove, and can over summer will understand.  I let my burned on ring around the burners go until winter (thank you big canning pot), when I can tackle the scrubbing action needed.  All is clean again, and looking spiffy as well.

On to more interesting news...maybe.


The snow storm gave me more crochet time, and I finished the large blanket to be gifted.  It looks small-ish in the photo, but I have big feet, ha ha!  It's maybe 60 x 70 plus inches.  Whew!  It's ready to gift when the weather is more suitable.

I'm still waiting on the back-ordered yarn.  Not sure it will be delivered any day soon, but the roads are clear as of this post.  Plow trucks have been super busy.

I'm still trying new recipes, and tackling some restocking, but thankful the sun pops out every now and again.  We get very little sunshine during the winter months.

Comments

Betsy said…
It's still pretty cold here too. We have another below zero night predicted in a couple of days and then it will warm up to the 20's for a few days. Your blanket turned out beautifully. Those colors are so pretty together. I ordered furnace filters on Amazon today and they won't be delivered for two weeks. It's a good thing we just changed it today and we don't need it right away. What happened to Prime? Ha!
Take care. I'm still coughing like crazy. Dennis finally made me go to urgent care yesterday. It's bronchitis which I'm prone to get. Especially here. I didn't have it nearly as much in Spokane as I get it back here in the midwest. I now have an inhaler and an antibiotic that I hope work fast. I'm tired of coughing all night.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
THe blanket is lovely and what a great time to finish it for a gift.
I am only cold since we got no snow. No shoveling or blowing anything, and staying inside feels pretty good right now.
Betsy, thank you. I am glad the blanket is finished. It felt like it took months to finish. Our Amazon orders have taken a week or more to deliver anymore this winter. It used to be same day or next day. I sure hope you feel better soon. Hugs!
Anne in the kitchen, I am thankful for the plow guys. One of them shoveled my doorway for us. Thank you in regards to the blanket. It is the most perfect time to not only make one, but finish one too. Cold weather is perfect for this. Or cleaning ovens ha ha!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart