Skip to main content

New Recipes ~ New Rug

I told a few folks that I was "taking Sunday off."  Ha!  Well, it sort of happened.  I tried several new recipes in my "try it" pile. 

First, our super bowl food yesterday:

Spicy Thai Chicken Wings.  Made using my home canned habanero-apricot jelly, freshly grated ginger, and fresh cilantro.  Delicious.  Different, and not real spicy as we thought.
  

Stuffed Jalapenos with chorizo and gouda.  This is a Food Network recipe and it is online too.  Amazing flavors with this combination of cheeses - cream cheese, sour cream and gouda.  We made some without the meat for vegetarians, and it too was delicious.  Hubby thinks they would be even better if I wrapped them with bacon.  Of course he does.

Food wasn't the only new recipes.  I whipped up some body butter for the first time.  I've made lotion, but not "body butter."


I did not have the sweet almond oil, the original recipe called for, so I used my calendula infused olive oil.  

(before it cooled completely)

(cooled completely, sorry, sort of a bad photo)

I found many recipes over the years, but just didn't put the time into making it.  I'll be trying it this week.

I also whipped up two types of homemade shampoo.  This one for Hubby.  Rosemary will darken light hair over time, so I made lemon for myself.  All made with ingredients I have on hand.  Organic (or chemical-free) shampoo is rather expensive.


Recipe from Eden Gardens:

Essential Oil Shampoo DIY

Washing your hair just became a whole lot cleaner with our all-natural shampoo.
What you need
1/2 cup Castile Soap
1/2 cup filtered water
16 drops Rosemary essential oil
2 drops Peppermint essential oil 
Container with flip top for ease of use
How to
  1. Pour ½ cup of castile soap to container.
  2. Add 16 drops of Rosemary essential oil.
  3. Add 2 drops of Peppermint essential oil.
  4. Fill the rest of the container with filtered water.
  5. Shake bottle to mix properly.
Note: Use a quarter size amount per use. Shake before each use.
 

Something new in the house. . .

 I needed a rug in front of the gate we have up for the dogs.  Cost?  $5.00.  Inexpensive, useful, and I couldn't haven't found a better one for the homestead.  It works nicely for where we needed one, although these rugs don't wash up easily.  It will do for now.


 

Comments

Kim said…
Just a little tid bit on the rug. I have one like that and I take it outside and use the garden hose on it with a bullet tip.I wet it down, spray it with my homemade bathroom cleaner and allow to sit. Scrub if needed and rinse. Hang to dry.

Want to try the shampoo. How is the hair after using it?
Debby Flowers said…
You have made bar soap correct? I make shampoo bars rather than liquid shampoo - of course we both have very short hair. No one with long hair has shared with me how they like it. Might be something to make and try on the short haired folks in your family.
Kim, thank you for that tip. The shampoo works pretty well. I still have to buy organic (chemical free) conditioner.
Debby, I have long hair, so I make the liquid hair shampoo. In the past we have made the goat's milk bar soap, but not for hair.
Sam I Am...... said…
Great minds think alike! I have been wanting to make body butter as the lotions are just too watery and of course, filed with chemicals I can't pronounce. I also do buy organic shampoo but was wanting to make my own as it is pricey. You ticked all the boxes for me! Thank you!
I love your rug and the thai chicken and poppers sound delish! I'm with hubby....wrap them in bacon...Oh, I'm so bad!
Sam I Am, I should have an update on the body butter soon. I'm not happy with the recipe I used, but have others to try too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart