Skip to main content

Random Tidbits

It was time to send this book back to the library.   I flipped through it and scanned one recipe.  It gives you a twist on some foods.  For example, there is a recipe where you shave the broccoli stalks to make a salad.  There are even a few recipes for using apple peelings and cores - apple wine jelly was one.



I tried another saved recipe, from the recipe "Try-It" binder.   I must have saved this recipe for over 10 years.  I was sort of stumped, so I had to taste it first.  It was a "bread" recipe, but said to bake it in a 9 x 13 inch cake pan.    It used crushed pineapple and shredded zucchini.  I cut the sugar down, and substituted applesauce for half the oil, and it tasted like a very soft cake.  I didn't copy down the recipe (to post here), because there are many versions of this and ways to bake it online.

Or I just wanted to save you all from wanting to save another recipe to try, ha ha!
 

Considering this tasted like cake and not bread, I decided to whip up some frosting using frozen strawberries.  Mmmm!  You can't even tell I sampled it from this angle, ha ha!  Sorta proper for a Valentine's Day treat for the family too.

I just read that mullein, a common weed that grows wild (and I use it year round for health and illnesses), is also called "cowboy toilet paper."  Ha!  So if you are out camping this summer, and run out of toilet paper, viola!  If you haven't seen mullein growing, it has very soft fuzzy leaves.

 

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Just be sure what all you "cowboys" use is really mullein . . . and not something like poison ivy, poison oak or some such! (Hee-hee.)
Mama Pea, that would be a bad situation if someone grabbed the wrong leaves, ha ha!
Sam I Am...... said…
Remember that big one I had growing in my yard....it's back! LOL! If you need any let me know...it's out there right now. Winter here kills nothing! LOL!
RB, I am now using my comfrey salve I made a while back. It has so many benefits.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart