Skip to main content

Biscuits ~ New Recipe gets a Whirl ~ No milk, No problem

 Do you ever buy a used cookbook from a thrift store, because of something "shiny" you see inside?  Then do you go home, put the book down, and completely and utterly forget what you wanted to try?

Well, I did just that with a thrift store cookbook purchase.  I bought it early a year ago (or longer, ha ha!).  I have had it out on the table, then counter, then table, then counter, then the kitchen island, and then back and forth. 

I finally.....finally (screaming from the rooftop), made a recipe I decided on.

First, let me tell you, the cookbook is all about high carbs (the good kind).  I do plan on reading the forward in the cookbook another day.  Much of the recipes are not for our liking, but I did try a biscuit recipe (that I had been wanting to try for months!!). 

On a side note, this cookbook, has a lot of reading sections in it, as well as recipes.  I'll be taking a closer look at it soon.


The recipe called for lowfat cottage cheese and eggs as the "liquid" and there is no milk in these.  They are stated as a "protein rich" biscuit.  I wasn't out looking for a high protein biscuit, but with the colder temps, and well it heated up the kitchen, I gave the recipe a whirl.

I'll be honest.  I did not roll and cut the biscuits per the instructions.  Second, my fingers were covered with dough, I had to wash them, and butter my hands well, and dig back into the dough.  It's a sticky dough, and I did not want oil in the biscuits, so hence butter (and it worked well).  I also used my square biscuit cutter and just flattened the dough with my hands.  No rolling pin needed, but you could if you wanted to I guess.  I am sure I lost a whole biscuit after realizing I should have buttered my hands first (oh well, lesson learned).

Recipe said to sprinkle the baking sheet with corn meal.  I used organic of course.  You do want to do this when baking these biscuits.




I love how these biscuits turned out using my square biscuit cutter.




These are a more dense biscuit, but very good.

Here is the recipe:

Quick Cottage-Oat Biscuits

2 cups unbleached organic all-purpose flour
1 cup of organic oat flour (or grind your own)
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/4 cup butter, organic (cold)
2 eggs, beaten well
1 1/2 cups low-fat organic cottage cheese
Organic cornmeal for dusting the baking sheet

In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cream of tartar.  Blend butter into the mixture using a pastry blender or fork and knife.  Combine the beaten eggs and cottage cheese, and add the mixture to the flour mixture.  Knead dough for a few minutes (butter your hands to keep dough from sticking).  I just pressed the dough and used a biscuit cutter, leaving the dough about 1/2 inch or so.  You can do what the recipe states, as well, which is cut the dough in 3 pieces.  Roll each piece into a 3 inch roll, and slice the roll in 1/2 inch pieces for your biscuit. You could also roll the dough like a "drop" biscuit I think.  Sprinkle a dusting of cornmeal onto your baking pans and bake the biscuits for 10-12 minutes at 425°F (mine baked in 12 minutes).  I cooled the biscuits on a cooling rack.

Recipe is from Jane Brody's Good Food Book (1985), which I purchased for $2.50 at a thrift store (it's a big book).


The biscuits made delicious mini breakfast sandwiches with egg, cheese and bacon.


Of course we had to try them with sausage gravy too!  So good, and the biscuits tasted great with the homemade gravy.  I have yet to see how well these biscuits freeze, but that is on the plan yet.  By the way, we bought the last 3 cans of canned evaporated milk (our store sells organic) due to people panic buying during the snow storm.

Different?  Yes.  Good?  Yes.  No milk?  No problem.  I still like our traditional biscuits, but these offer a biscuit with zero milk and less butter.

Comments

Yumm, they look good. There's nothing like a good biscuit.
Debby, thank you. Yep, biscuits fun to make too.
Betsy said…
I love making biscuits but just use the one in my old Betty Crocker cookbook. Dennis's favorite breakfast is biscuits and gravy. Yum!
Blessings,
Betsy
These sound really interesting. I'm glad they turned out so good. I probably would've passed on the recipe just because it sounds like a lot of extra work if you don't already have the oat flour, etc. But I bet they tasted really good.
Betsy, I would love your biscuit recipe, to see if it's any different or yet better than our traditional recipe we use. Yes, we love biscuits and gravy. Blessings to you too.
Pamela M Steiner, yes, it does require the oat flour, but I had some, so I tried them. It is an odd flour to have on hand, but they were worth trying and will keep the recipe for the future. I plan on freezing them too. I would like to have easy meal ingredients in the freezer to deliver to those in need of meals.
Faith said…
It’s hip to be square as the song goes. The look good. Yes the Einkorn sourdough starter is in the book I posted about. I’ve yet to bake with it. The book goes into detail about that process.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart