Skip to main content

This and That


The homemade Kahlua I gifted at Christmas has been a hit.  You can get the link to it here.

The Good Lord dropped a barn beam during the last storm we had, so it was recently cut up and will be used for firewood.  These will burn hot, and for a longer time.  And it's one less part of the big barn to deal with.  If the Good Lord drops the entire barn, then we can really get to work on it.

  

Bugs are coming to life, so the ladies had free range roaming yesterday.  The immediately took dirt baths.  I do like to know where the eggs are being left, but I need bug patrol too.  I've seen a few stink bugs come out of hiding, and several spiders. 

I have been waiting for my own car to be repaired so I could job hunt and get a full-time job (outside the home).  However, the bomb was dropped on me the other night.  I have to relinquish my car to my 17 year-old so she can work (to buy her own car).  She has an interview this Friday.  It's not what I had planned.  However, I may find an early morning shift to where I can use my car during the day, and her at night.  I guess we'll see.  Six kids, six cars.  

Just something I didn't think about.  As a teen, I rode my bicycle to work, and bought my own cars.  With cash. Even paid for my own car insurance.  Back then we didn't have cell phones.  Not until I started having kids (and I got a deal through where I worked for $9.99/month and it was like carrying around a block).  Here in the boonies, the kids cannot ride a bicycle to work.  

The weather here continues to remain in the 60's.  I plan on taking a walk to the fruit trees to see if they think it's spring too.  Hopefully, they are all okay.  I'm sure the garlic thinks it's spring.  Global warming at it's finest?  We also have predictions of tornado weather (in mid-winter!!) tomorrow - high winds, etc.  Say a prayer. Think good thoughts.  

On a good note, I am back to walking 3-4 miles now.  I still deal with back pain, but I'm using my comfrey salve and doing stretches too.  I am using homemade hand sanitizer, a anti-ill essential oil spray and I keep drinking my teas and eating my greens.  In fact, I'm eating dandelion greens in my breakfast this morning.


Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
Maybe that storm will take out some more of the barn...just not the house! How are you going to keep up with all your gardening if you work full time? Stupid question as I did with the help of my children and I canned too but that was when I was young and full of energy....now I can barely clean my house! LOL! I remember the car issue too...unless you wanted to spend your life in the car it was a blessing to see the kids learn to drive...well, a blessing and a curse! LOL! I've had some homemade Kahlua gifted to me and it is very good....you'd never know the difference. Good luck with "the logistics".
Susan said…
That is a drawback when you live in the boonies. You have to drive everywhere, as nothing is close. Our little town has zero to offer, so all grocery, hardware, feed, etc. needs to be bought at least a half-hour's drive away. Is there work you can get that you can do at home? I would think your writing skills would serve you well for at-home work.
Sam I Am, for a while I was able to bring in bread and butter cash, by writing for a local magazine. They went out of business and now Backwoods Home magazine (the next I would have submitted to) sadly will cease their print version this year.
Susan, I am looking to other sources to submit a few articles. The one magazine I wrote for went out of business recently, and now Backwoods home magazine is stopping their print magazine this fall. I am looking into setting up my dishcloths on consignment (in a small store), but have yet to get them up their for them to approve.
Rain said…
Thanks for sharing the Kahlua recipe! That's something I want to add to my list, making some liqueurs and bitters too. I used to make wine too a long time ago. It takes a lot of space and it's hard to find that here in our rental. Tinctures too, that's another plan for homemade things. Congratulations on your walking! I have a mini-trampoline at home that I use to walk/jog on those days where the weather doesn't permit a long walk. It's so important to stay fit! :)
Rain, I went from November to Feb. before getting back to my regular work out (without pain). I lost so much time from that stint in the hospital. However, due to now walking I gained back the lost weight, and am back to getting in shape. It feels great too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart