Skip to main content

Shopping Day ~ Black Bean and Corn Salsa

Saturday was a big shopping day.  We hit four stores to restock dog food, salt for the softener tank, organic meats, and so forth.  We had to make one stop for a new printer too.  We had the trunk filled, our stomachs were empty and screaming for dinner.


Thankfully, before we left, I filled the crock pot.  It's my healthier version of Pasta e Fagoli.  I make this with whatever I have, and it always tastes good.  Some years I use tomato sauce and paste, with extra broth, but this time I used some tomato basil soup and paste.  The combination was delicious.  I just had to boil the penne noodles and add them when I got home.
 

While we were shopping we ran into family on Hubby's side.  Hubby forgot about a birthday party that night, so while the noodles boiled for the dinner, I whipped up a black bean and corn salsa to take to the party.

It was missing a splash of lime juice, but tasted pretty good.  I had to use our frozen "of the cob" corn, so it tasted a tad sweet and lacked the heat.  I added some frozen chopped jalapenos and a bit of our "fire powder" to spice it up.  For the "salsa" for this I used my home canned green tomato salsa.  I just love how the colors make this salsa look festive.

The salsa came in handy at the party.  They grilled flank steak for burritos, and the salsa make a perfect topping for it.  Not bad for a last minute "take along."

Hubby and I were losing our "steam" by 7:30pm, and decided we'd better head home and get some rest.  

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Whew! I know a day of shopping and then out for a birthday party would take away all my "steam", too! Your salsa looks (and I'm sure tasted) so good!
Mama Pea, the salsa turned out very good. It would be great for a quick burrito of any sort I think too. We enjoyed it on non-gmo tortilla chips.
Rain said…
The salsa looks delicious! My boyfriend and I get heartburn from anything spicy and we both miss that fiery sensation...our salsas are beyond mild these days. I've started to add some black beans and corn into mine as well and you're right they look really nice. I think that the enjoyment of eating isn't just the taste, but the smell and the visual as well. Isn't the crockpot a lifesaver on shopping day??? I've adopted a once a month shopping day and it's a long day but saves me time, gas money and social anxiety going out more often. In fact, we're on 6 weeks now from the last shopping day. I'd love to be able to just go out a few times all winter to stock up. I have to plan a crockpot meal for my next big shopping day too.
Rain, I love the crock pot meals. It really saves me time.
Sam I Am...... said…
Sounds like a long but lovely day and your salsa looks so yummy! I'm like Rain, I can't handle spicy anymore.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart