Skip to main content

Habanero-Apricot Jelly

I dug out my canning pot, utensils, and hot peppers yesterday.  If you froze any habanero peppers, this is perfect to can in winter time. The weather forecast was for snow.  Lots of snow. 

Ha.

We got rain.  A lot of rain.  Is the weather guy drunk?  Or is mother nature drunk?




It is a "try-it" recipe that was sitting around, and it smelled so good on the stove top.



I have a second recipe to make - baked wings with the jelly.  If we like it, I'll be looking for other ways to utilize it. Maybe on crackers with cream cheese or other cheese?
The recipe comes from "The All New Ball Book of Canning and Preserving" (2016).  The jelly is made with habanero peppers, red bell peppers, red onion, and dried apricots (and white vinegar). The recipe for Spicy Thai chicken wings is on the same page as the jelly recipe.

The jelly is a gorgeous color.  I cant wait to taste it.  Like most hot pepper jellies, it's most likely best to let it set a bit. 

Comments

Mama Pea said…
It must be jelly making time on the homestead! My daughter finished up making the apple jelly she started yesterday. It had a wonderful taste before being water bathed. Hope it sets up nicely! Yours does look lovely.
Mama Pea, you know my Hubby has no patience, and he opened a jar of it last night. We tasted it over crackers and organic cream cheese. Delicious. I can't wait to try it on wings next.
RB said…
The jelly sounds yummy and like it would be good on chicken, turkey, pork, maybe even some fish too. You could probably also use it to spice up certain casseroles, etc.
Been under the weather a bit with a weird virus that gives ya headaches, and because I'm prone to migraines, some of those headaches have turned into one leaving me weary, but this too shall pass.
Hope everyone's having a wonderful week, and a safe one too.
Cold weather suppose to be headed our way, but we'll just have to see what comes. Sometimes it seems to be as much as a surprise to the weather experts as it is to us. LOL
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, I hope feel better soon. It is much colder here this week. Brrr. Stay warm.
Sam I Am...... said…
I don't like hot or too spicy but I do like that jelly. I would probably use jalapenos as that is what is in my freezer. The chicken idea is a good one!
Sam I Am, it really isn't a hot jelly. It's delicious on the cracker with cream cheese.
Unknown said…
Am I missing the recipe ? I can't find it. Thanks
Anita, I think this was a Better Homes and Gardens recipe. If I can't find it online for you, I will post the book it's in later.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart