Skip to main content

Christmas "spice" Extract ~ Homemade Creamer Experiment

 I brewed up a "Christmas" spice extract last year, and gifted a few bottles for Christmas.  I finally tried it, and made a homemade coffee creamer.

I thought the cinnamon/clove flavors would make a nice coffee creamer.  Before I go into a "recipe" for the creamer, I just used online recipes as guides, using maple syrup for the sweetener, and my homemade vanilla and Christmas spice extract.  I ended up adding a 3rd tsp. of the Christmas spice extract for more flavor.  Honestly, I didn't think the extract had enough "spice" flavor in it.

I will be trying it in baked goods, and maybe cookies.   I most likely will be adjusting the ingredients to more cinnamon sticks, and maybe more clove for the next batch of this too.


Here is how I made the first batch of this extract.

In a canning jar (or other glass container) combine the following:

- 2 1/2 cups vodka (do not use the bottom line brand)

-6 vanilla beans

-12 whole cloves

-3 cinnamon sticks

-6 whole cardamom pods

-6 whole allspice

Cover, and infuse for 4 weeks or so.  Keep out of direct light, and shake the bottle often. Strain, bottle (I used amber bottles like the ones I bottle my homemade vanilla extract in), and label.


                         



I use a measuring cup, with a pour spout to pour the extract into the amber bottles.  I also use a small funnel, which helps fill the small bottles.

Note:  Using the "whole" spices to make this extract works well.  If you decide to use anything ground, you will need to strain it with a very fine strainer.  I do think the whole spices will give a bolder extract, but like I said above, it needs more cinnamon, and possibly other spices to make a stronger flavored extract.

Christmas "spice" Extract ~ Homemade Creamer Experiment  ©  January 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart