Skip to main content

Pearl ~ Purging the Bedding

Ever wake up feeling like Pearl (we accidentally left her out all winter)?  Rained on, snowed, on, hailed on, wind blown, knocked down.........looking all haggard?  I did.  All of December and all of January.

February is a new month, and I am back to almost walking 2 full miles a day.  It's been painful, but trips to the chiropractor are swiftly returning my body to a painless stage. It's a lesson to myself really.  I think about that miserable experience, and I wake up to a fully charged, positive demeanor.  

I don't skip the herbal teas.  I don't skip the exercise.  I clean something every day even in the midst of a canning day, or other engaging day.
I now run away from negative energy.  It can swallow you up if you let it, and then lower your immune system.

Extreme clean up date?  I hope you find my cleaning entertaining.

Well, I just finished cleaning out the drawers I keep school supplies in.  I found about a dozen (I kid you not) plastic protractors, 5-6 compasses, and more.  The price tags ($.41) were still on the protractors.  Evidently, I snatched up too many in anticipation of school days way back in the day.  I'm told by the kids, these items are on the supply list, but when they get to class, the teacher provides them (and those days of using them are over for my kids).  I kept one compass for crafting reasons, and the rest were all donated.  Someone else will be blessed with my over abundance, and lack of self control when the price is (was) right.  

I started going through bedding.  I opened a cupboard that was hidden behind a table, and wa-la found Christmas table cloths, a few baby blankets (I kid you not) and two sets of king sheets I can use on the bed.  Oh, there are many that will become rag rugs, some will become paint cloths, and many pillow cases will find there way to the "donation station."  I'm sure someone else can use my abundance that I didn't even realize I had. I can't believe I didn't go through this last winter. 

But. There is a big "but" in saving old sheets for rugs.  If I save them, I must sew them, or attach them, into strips before spring.  And roll them into rag roll balls.  Or I'll most likely put them somewhere, and forget about them.  Rag rolls stored is okay with me, but not the un-cut sheets.

Or I could put them in the tote box in the barn, for animal emergencies.   

And speaking of Pearl, I found a pair of coveralls (while purging bedding) that would be perfect for a new scare crow this spring.  

The weather is still bitter cold here.  We had a full day of sunshine yesterday, but it was wicked cold.  Today it's the same, but too early to know if we'll see the sun.  



  

Comments

RockWhisperer said…
If you are making rug strips from sheets, you can cut the sheets so that they are one continuous piece. To connect one loose strip to another, cut a "buttonhole" on both ends and larkshead one strip into the other. Wa-lah, no sewing. There's a youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C3mQEEmPsA
It's not mine, but I've watched it to make sure it's a workable example.

Good luck to you in your efforts.
Mama Pea said…
I think Pearl is a symbol of what you went through in December and January -- down but not out. Straighten that girl back up and she'll be back to doing what needs to be done just like you! ;o]
llene Jones, funny you mentioned that. I thought I had used that method last year, and went straight to YouTube to check it out. Thanks.
Mama Pea, I have new clothes for Pearl, ha ha! With my extreme cleaning right now, I found an old apron for her too. Next I'll be going through my own clothing. Oh, I plan on being so back on track this month. Hubby joked my jeans for motorcycle rides won't fit now. He's just trying to encourage me I think. I tried them on again. They fit! Woo hoo!
RB said…
I rarely feel like that waking up, but after work I often feel like that nowadays. Thank God the customers, the store and my co-workers are nice, or it wouldn't be worth it.
Prayers everyone has their best week yet, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, I'm thankful to not wake up like that anymore. That's great to hear your co-workers are nice.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart