Skip to main content

Random Tidbits ~ New Recipe ~ Tip

 Beautiful sunrise. Although we ended up with cloud cover the remainder of the day.

Grab a cup of java or tea today.  It's a long post.


What's on breakfast plate?

Zucchini-Dandelion egg scramble with whole grain toast with home canned strawberry jam.  I made enough scramble so Hubby would have enough to take to work for a few days.
 

We haven't had a "King-tastrophy" since he got up on the counter and ate half of a birthday cake.  But Zuri.  Oh...that dog can chew up and destroy.

Her latest?

"Zuri-raptor" not only got her harness off of her, but tore it to shreds.  Sigh.

Sigh, sigh, sigh, sigh...... 

My 17 year-old leaves their harnesses on for me while they are in school.  It makes taking them outside much easier on my back.  King still pulls and a fence is not first on the list this year.  

No harness for walks today.  She needs more toys. Again.  I just bought them ropes a week ago.  She reminds me of Alias.  He could chew up a dozen balls in a matter of seconds.

Food prep yesterday:

Dandelions and zucchini went into an egg breakfast scramble, along with some garlic and jalapeno peppers.  The glass bowl with red lid is homemade condensed cheddar cheese "soup" (thawed for mac n' cheese).  The green beans were for dinner.  The remaining eggs were boiled for snacking and sandwiches this week, the applesauce was used for baking the jam bars (below) as well as the walnuts.  My frozen lemon peel didn't get in the photo, but I used that in the bars as well. 

Which recipe did I try?



Cherry Holiday bars (a holiday recipe from BHG online), but you can use raspberry or other jam.  I had some older blueberry (without cinnamon) that needed used up so I made them with blueberry, and a bit of black raspberry jam.  Both home canned.



I had written a note on my recipe that said you can freeze these for up to a month, but I haven't tried that (yet).  I had a wee bit of trouble getting the foil off two edges, but overall easy to make.  These of course were delicious!  I can't wait to try them with home canned cherry jam next (even though the kids are telling me to keep making them with blueberry).


Essential Oil Tip:  Rosemary has been researched to be effective against drug-resistant bacteria (from what I am reading).  One kiddo was home sick and her cough was so bad it was causing her to throw up.  I mixed up some oil and rosemary oil (because it was what I had on hand) and had her rub it on her chest.  Of course this was all in addition to sipping medicinal herbal teas, etc.  Her cough is not gone completely today, but she is coughing less.


It's hard to believe I am painting a room in February.  We had another day in the low 60's, so 75% of a room is now painted.  Whew!  It will be a high of 68°F today.  It's just crazy.  I am really starting to worry about my fruit trees now.

Comments

Rain said…
I hope your fruit trees are okay too. Your scramble looks so amazingly delicious. My boyfriend gave me a cookbook for Christmas called "Breakfast Comforts"...oh boy...FULL of yummy breakfast ideas and lots of scrambles! I made a salmon scramble with cream cheese, chives and dill and it was a great dinner. If we don't give the dogs bones to chew every day, they pull pillows apart...
Sam I Am...... said…
I should send you our dog toys...really, as my dogs no long chew or play with them. All your home canned and frozen looks so good...what a great feeling you must get when you make a meal. Our Bradford pears and forsythia are all starting to bloom so I think it is just an early Spring everywhere.
Sandra said…
The weather has been so warm, doing chores in February in Michigan without a coat on is NOT the norm!
The food looks yummy!
Rain, Zuri our mountain curr dog, chewed up the seat of a chair upstairs yesterday. I finally blocked off the stairs. They have a bunch of ropes to play with, but I guess she has gotten picky.
Sam I Am, I have not seen any daffodils try to come up, so I hope it gets cold again soon.
Thanks Sandra. I could get a sunburn today. So not the norm here either. High of 72!
RB said…
We have warm weather again here today too, and it's a bit of a worry for farmers, because it's not unusual to get below freezing temps in NC as late as April. We'll have to see what Mother Nature has planned for us regarding that.
Almost all of our flowers are up, some are in full bloom - start the allergies. Bro Tom and I were comparing itchy eyes and tiredness. I'm sure it's probably allergies. Time to start the antihistamines for me, he can't take 'em at all. Poor guy.
I pray everyone has a great weekend, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, I have been drinking mullein tea infusions for my allergies too. Even the kids are getting sinus issues. It's definitely not our normal weather.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart