Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, March 30, 2015

Herbal Journey ~ Herbal Bath Tea



It's time to expand my knowledge and use of herbs once again.  This time, taking herbs to the bathtub.  And one kiddo got to try out our first herbal bath tea.


When one of the kids had the flu, or flu-like virus, she wanted to take a bath.  I've since then put together a "Bath Bag" for colds and flu, and we grow every ingredient in my herb garden.


Bath Bag for Colds and Flu
1 cup dried sage
1 cup dried thyme
1 cup dried lemon balm

Mix herbs together and use ½ to 1 cup in a muslin bag per bath.  Let steep in the tub.  Rub onto the body for additional benefits.

Note:  You can sew your own reusable muslin bath bags, or simply cut a piece and tie it up with cotton string.  I much prefer to tie up a round of muslin.  The bath bags never stay shut completely and herbs start to float around in the tub.


Remember the organic orange peel I saved and dried?  Well I used it for another bath tea.

I tried the stimulating bath tea recipe found in this book:

Organic Body Care Recipes, by Stephanie Tourles

I had every ingredient except the lemon rind.  The author has many herbal recipes in this book, if anyone is interested in this sort of thing.

10 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Hey, if you're feeling wonky and the bath bag for colds and flu makes you feel better, who cares if you've got a little thyme stuck to the bottom of your foot! ;o}

My Garden Diaries said...

I think this is awesome as I have just started using oils with this same concept in mind! I think we can learn a lot from plants! Happy week to you!! Nicole xo

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, you made me laugh once again, ha ha!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Nicole, the bath tea I made for myself, used dried herbs as well as essential oils. Very refreshing.

Lisa said...

I found that dried peppermint tea is great for sore throats and indigestion. Thanks for giving me idea to try it in a hot bath next time! It's got to be good for you in the tub too! I will try mixing it with some dired lemon balm. Great idea!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

It sounds refreshing!
...my problem isn't getting the herbs to stay put.
It's getting the door to stay shut!
You'd think if the kids were all grown a few minutes to soak in the tub ALONE... would come easy. ;/ but no...

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Lisa, the bath teas are wonderful. My 15 year-old was begging me to fix up another tea bag for her last night. It really helps you feel better.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Patricia, we have only one tub, and it often gets time limits.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Now this sounds so relaxing! Never thought of using teas in the bath.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

GratefulPrayer, I'm finding many recipes in books I am borrowing from the library.