Skip to main content

Declaring it Porch Time

That's it.  I'm declaring it is spring now, which means "porch time" and my furniture is coming out of storage.  Even if I have to drag it out on the sled.


The wood pile tells me so.  I should I say lack of a wood pile.  I did not even shovel the snow yesterday.  It is going to melt very soon anyway, and the scent on those sheets is so wonderful - natural "medication" for a good night's sleep.




The sun is blinding me at through the front window now.  That has to be a sure sign of spring.

The porch is calling me...........oh wait!!

The kids reminded we we always get snow the last week of March.  Hmpf.  A portable fold-up chair is now in the hallway, ready to tote in and out, when porch time (despite my kids logic on the subject) is needed.





In the meantime, I'll make some campfire starters, and dream of camping.  I had just enough beeswax to make two dozen fire starters.  The Island (and campground) is calling.  Then again, there are always new places to explore.

I've got another huge stack of books from the library.  Once I finish chores up here today, I plan to sift through it and see if any can help us with locating more scholarship applications for our 18 year-old. 


Comments

Mama Pea said…
We actually felt "springtime" up here yesterday, too . . . the temp went slightly above 32 degrees! Can't see that it managed to melt any of the ice and/or snow out there, but it sure felt good. Maybe spring will really arrive for all of us this year! Hang in there . . . folding porch chair in hand!
Mama Pea, we are to get a high of 38°F today. The sun is out too.
RB said…
I was about to say "Wait" myself. March did come in like a lion most places across the US and might go out like a lamb if the old adage holds, but "might" is the keyword in that sentence, and we know from experience (and old margarine commercials), that "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature." (Remember that old Chiffon margarine commercial. It's on Youtube if you don't. LOL)

Enjoying the nice days we do have, patiently waiting for more to come with Spring and for Spring to last more than a day and a half which it often does in NC. Darnitall!!!

God bless.

RB
<><
RB, I am digging out my Farmer's Almanac to see what it says about weather (if it has anything for March).

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart