Skip to main content

Goats in the Kitchen ~ Thinking Ahead and Other Tidbits

Everything is normal here today.  


The sunrise is a beautiful pink.



The goats are roaming around romping in the kitchen, while I sip some hot coffee and wake up.  Normal for us anyway.  Goat coats are in the washer this morning. 

We are trying to come up with names for these cuties.  Starksy and Hutch?  Bubble and Squeak?  Yankee and Doodle, Tex and Rex?  Bert and Ernie?  Zoey and Joey? Butch and Sundance?  Orville and Wilbur?  Batman and Robin?

I'm told to keep coming up with more.  Those won't do it Daughter says, ha ha!


Having been so blessed with our garden and other stocking up this winter, I am already planning ahead for next winter.  Our "needs" list is growing.

I made the road trip to restock our organic apple cider vinegar.  I can only find it by the gallon a few hours drive from home.  I use it for canning spiced beets, and many other recipes all summer long.  The sad part was, the store moved again, and is now smaller.  They are not carrying some of the items I need.

I did however, stop at an antique store and after walking through the entire building, found a round butter dish for $5.00.  Hubby accidentally broke my last one.  Anyway, I was thrilled.  And we both got out of the house for some Hubby and Wife time.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Hey! You and your hubby had a DATE! Sounds just like what our "dates" are anymore. I'd rather do what you did than go to a fancy restaurant where the cost would be so high I'd not enjoy the meal. And you have the butter dish as a memento of the day. Good goin'!
Mary said…
Those 2 goat kids are cute. While it's not the most original, how about Itsy & Bitsy?
Your goat is adorable! And how organized are you!!!! You need to write a book! I love that you make your lists of what you need and figure out how to do it without spending much.....Great stuff and that shot of the sky is stunning! Happy week! Nicole xoxo
Mama Pea, Hubby and I love to drive around and look at nature, hike, take long walks, and walk through antique stores. I was tickled to find the butter dish.
Nicole, I love a good sunrise. Or sunset for that matter. As for the book, I am working on that.
Mary, cute names! We are still deciding.
EMMA said…
How cute, however I will not show this to my youngest, for obvious reasons!!!
Emma, I do understand. My little nephew was already over to see the baby goats when they where just one day old.
RB said…
How about Oreo or Domino for the black and white one, and Snickers or Rocky (Road) for the brown and white one? Anyway, that's my thoughts.

I do remember once having little chicks in the kitchen. Can't quite remember why they couldn't stay with their Mama in the hen house which was usually very warm all year round with all the chickens we kept inside it. Anyway, our maternal Grandma put them in a wash pan with a towel inside it on the open door of the oven which she'd turned on to very very low.

God bless.

RB
<><
Cute names RB. Daughter is still deciding.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart