Skip to main content

It Begins ~ Rhubarb ~ Recycled Vintage Coffee Filter


Canning season started early for me this year (giddy excitement).  I canned jelly yesterday.  

This was the first time canning with my new stove.  It heats up much faster.  I wanted to get a feel for it, before I start canning fruit jams, which tend to be the beginning of my yearly canning.


Every year, I lose a rhubarb plant, and last year had to re-plant again.    Hubby said he would build me a raised bed this spring, just for rhubarb.

Eating Well magazine has a few recipes I would love to try also.

We have made rhubarb BBQ sauce in the past,  and it was delicious.

I found a packet of seeds (rhubarb) in my seed container, so I'm starting those.   Hopefully, the cats will leave it alone.  One of these days, Hubby will get my green house built for me.  I'm not bugging him yet.  I want the root cellar first.



 (before)


 After

I fixed up my porch sign.  Hopefully, it will last another year.  I do have to take it down during windy tornado weather.  It's kind of at the edge of the porch.



The kids are enjoying the convenience of cotton balls and q-tips at the sink now.  This actually helps keep their sink a bit more organized.



I gifted my hairdresser a knitted dishcloth.  I used the smallest of my scrap yarns to tie a bow around it.  It appears, I need to re-stock my knitted dishcloths next. 

Comments

Susan said…
I love the idea of pickled rhubarb, as I have tons of it and would like some new ways to use it. I will see if I can find that recipe online. What a clever (and attractive) use for that old coffee filter! Genius! I need to re-stock my knitted dishcloths, too. It's my favorite 'in between' knitting.
Susan, I thought pickled rhubarb would be excellent on salads.
Mama Pea said…
Well, horse feathers! I can't get two of your pictures to come in today. :o(

My rhubarb has been in a raised bed for round about 18 years and is gigantic! Can't wait for it to peek through this year.

How'd your haircut turn out? Are you happy with it?
Mama Pea, I feel 10 lbs. lighter. I got about 9-10 inches cut off. I'm not sure if I like the style yet, but I like the length much better.
I don't think I've ever had rhubarb- pickled or otherwise!
The repurpose coffee filter is so neat!
And I make cloths in between times-- busy work during baseball season!
I watch the Texas Rangers and crochet!
Patricia, I made a rhubarb bbq sauce and it was delicious. I still want to try rhubarb chutney too.
RB said…
Such cute, useful, simple and inexpensive ideas, both for gifts and for personal use.
God bless.
RB
<><
Thanks RB, the kids thought it was "cool."
Sam I Am...... said…
What a great idea for the coffee filter! I need to restock my dishcloths too. I tried rhubarb here in AR and it was specifically for AR but it died out.
Jam and pickled sounds good.
Sam I am, last year I had to buy rhubarb (same with this year). I hope to get it growing much better this year.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart