Skip to main content

Herbal Journey ~ Herbal Bath Tea



It's time to expand my knowledge and use of herbs once again.  This time, taking herbs to the bathtub.  And one kiddo got to try out our first herbal bath tea.


When one of the kids had the flu, or flu-like virus, she wanted to take a bath.  I've since then put together a "Bath Bag" for colds and flu, and we grow every ingredient in my herb garden.


Bath Bag for Colds and Flu
1 cup dried sage
1 cup dried thyme
1 cup dried lemon balm

Mix herbs together and use ½ to 1 cup in a muslin bag per bath.  Let steep in the tub.  Rub onto the body for additional benefits.

Note:  You can sew your own reusable muslin bath bags, or simply cut a piece and tie it up with cotton string.  I much prefer to tie up a round of muslin.  The bath bags never stay shut completely and herbs start to float around in the tub.


Remember the organic orange peel I saved and dried?  Well I used it for another bath tea.

I tried the stimulating bath tea recipe found in this book:

Organic Body Care Recipes, by Stephanie Tourles

I had every ingredient except the lemon rind.  The author has many herbal recipes in this book, if anyone is interested in this sort of thing.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Hey, if you're feeling wonky and the bath bag for colds and flu makes you feel better, who cares if you've got a little thyme stuck to the bottom of your foot! ;o}
I think this is awesome as I have just started using oils with this same concept in mind! I think we can learn a lot from plants! Happy week to you!! Nicole xo
Mama Pea, you made me laugh once again, ha ha!
Nicole, the bath tea I made for myself, used dried herbs as well as essential oils. Very refreshing.
Lisa said…
I found that dried peppermint tea is great for sore throats and indigestion. Thanks for giving me idea to try it in a hot bath next time! It's got to be good for you in the tub too! I will try mixing it with some dired lemon balm. Great idea!
It sounds refreshing!
...my problem isn't getting the herbs to stay put.
It's getting the door to stay shut!
You'd think if the kids were all grown a few minutes to soak in the tub ALONE... would come easy. ;/ but no...
Lisa, the bath teas are wonderful. My 15 year-old was begging me to fix up another tea bag for her last night. It really helps you feel better.
Patricia, we have only one tub, and it often gets time limits.
Now this sounds so relaxing! Never thought of using teas in the bath.
GratefulPrayer, I'm finding many recipes in books I am borrowing from the library.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart