Skip to main content

Random Tidbits ~ Cooking from Storage (Dehydrated Potatoes)

I'm late in posting today, but for a good reason.

I got no sleep last night.  No big news, right?

I tried to sleep in, but that did not happen.  Youngest missed the bus and next oldest is sick.  

Anyway....

I was on the phone with Oldest Daughter.

The good news?  She did not have the flu last week. 

The bad news?
She's getting her appendix out, but she's over 130 miles away from home right now.  Her vomiting and fever was most likely from an infection she evidently has.  Surgery is this morning.  I can't go.  I'm relying on her cell phone, and a few very reliable contacts for now.

Youngest will be dealt with later.  This is the second time missing the bus.  How in the world do you miss a bus that pulls into your driveway, and up to your door?  Normally, I am up hounding them with a minute count down, and I did holler out my room for her to watch the time at least once.  By then however, I was wide awake.

We are completely out of cut wood.  Looks like my day will be rather busy - sledge hammer and wedge.  If I have time.  In all honestly, it's not too bad in the house today.  It's at night when it cools down.



These dehydrated potatoes where dried a few years ago, and I forgot I had a few jars left.  I also have one quart jar of dehydrated green peppers.

How I dehydrated my potatoes(click to go that post) 

Cooking with dehydrated potatoes.



I made a sausage and kale/potato soup, but without the sausage.

What's from storage?  

Frozen onion soup
Dehydrated hash brown potatoes
A few rings of frozen hot banana peppers (in place of crushed red pepper flakes), chopped

I used fresh carrots, celery, kale and garlic.

I'm saving the remaining dehydrated potatoes for when Hubby returns.  I'm thinking they will work perfect for either cheesy potatoes or a German potato salad.   

I had to hide our very last jar of home canned zucchini salsa.  The kids are devouring it.  I wanted to make sure my hard working husband, had a jar to enjoy when he returned as well.  I just have to remember my hiding spot.

I crocheted a new item last night.  It was my keep-busy-or-I'll-lose-my-mind project.  I was texting with Oldest Daughter all evening, because surgery was expected last night.  The waiting part is the most frustrating I think (next to not being there).

I'll post that project for you tomorrow.  I have thirsty goats and chickens, and a sink full of dirty dishes to tackle.


Comments

Susan said…
How frustrating to be so far away! I am sure that it will go well, but I am also sure both you and your daughter would prefer you were there. How did you cut your potatoes to dehydrate them? I did onions for the first time this year and really like the results. Sounds like you could use a break to two, and not just in the weather.
Susan, I sliced some and what you see in the jar on the post is a hash brown cut (both easy to do). I'll go back and link the post how I did them. Yeah, this entire household could use a break.
Amy Dingmann said…
You are a busy lady! Hope everything goes well for your daughter. :) The soup looks delicious. I hope to get a fabulous garden this year so we can dehydrate and can! (Last year was HORRIBLE). :)
Amy, I too, hope for a wonderful garden year for everyone.
Mama Pea said…
I'm about speechless with all that is going on in your household. You are made of strong stuff, lady. Hugs.
Mama Pea, I can't make this stuff up. It would make a good book, that's for sure. Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart