Skip to main content

Vet Visit and Other Tidbits


Jesse had his assessment with the vet.  It appears that we do not need to remove the fatty tumor (just yet).  It's in his groin area, so there is concern that it makes him feel like he has to go, but doesn't. 

Just to be sure he doesn't have a urinary infection, we do need to get it tested to rule that out.  The last time we took him to get his rabies shot, he swelled up like a balloon.  This time (thankfully), he did not.  


Unless the tumor starts to grow too fast and too big, surgery can be delayed.  The poor guy was super stressed out on the ride there, and he typically is not.   

It was high time to make a batch of homemade hot chocolate.  The chill in the air yesterday caused me to dress in three layers. 

Someone did me a favor, and hit the raccoon (sparing you the picture).  It's smack in front of my driveway, out in the center of the country highway.  You'd think vultures would have it by now, but nope.  I was excited he was gone, but guess what else we have?   Two more raccoons living in the big barn.  Guess I'll be dealing with that this weekend.  

The rest of the week, I am cleaning up around here.  My "candle-light dinner" table is scattered with a sewing machine, craft patterns, and magazines.  It's time to spruce up and put things back in place.

We are closing in on kidding time.  We think Peanut will have two.  I have all our kidding supplies ready, except nipples (in case we need them).  I like Hoegger, but they are the slowest shippers in the states.  I hope they get here in time.  The last thing for us to make is a bucket of homemade goat wipes.   Then we wait for the little cuties to start popping out.




Comments

Liz said…
I can always tell when there is something dead on our road by the vultures! Kidding time always sounds so exciting, but nerve racking also!
Liz, it can be for me. I'm doing it alone this season. So I'm praying everything goes smoothly.
Susan said…
Sound like you are as ready as you can be. I hope it goes smooth as silk for you -- and can't wait to see pictures! I have the "Predator Path" for carcass removal at my place.
Michelle said…
Can't wait to see picture of the new kidds.
The vet told me the same thing on my cat. Since hers was by her mouth that if it got any bigger they would have to do surgery. That was 2 years ago. It didn't get bigger ,it even got a little smaller. Hope your as lucky. Vet bills can add up.
Susan and Michelle, I will post photos as soon as they are born.
Sam I Am...... said…
I live in a retirement town so we have LOTS of vultures here all the time! LOL!
Hope the dog gets better.
Sam I am, as of today (Saturday) no vultures. Strange.
RB said…
Sounds like Spring is springing, there and most everywhere in the US (we hope, unless Mother Nature pulls a trick on us).

Here in NC, the daffodils are popping and there are buds on the oak trees.

God bless.

RB
<><
RB, someone recently told me if March comes in like a lion, it goes out like a lamb. Let's hope.
RB said…
My sisters and I keep reminding ourselves of that (March in like a lion). We'll see, won't we.
God bless.
RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart