Skip to main content

Green Onion ~ Dehydrated and Ground

 Snow is predicted Sunday/Monday.  Nothing new.  It has snowed in October here.  I took one last look at the herb garden, before it rests for the winter.  

I dehydrated more green onions, and froze a bit more.  The dehydrated ones were left whole to dehydrate, then I store them in a canning jar.  I do this with chives as well.  I mostly use the frozen ones for baked egg dishes.



I use a small vacuum that works for regular and wide mouth jars.  So far, it's worked great, and I've had it for a few years now.




I love to make ground vegetables, in cases where I have a larger harvest of something.  It adds flavor to any dish.  I ground some of the dehydrated green onions, and filled a repurposed spice jar.

I had to keep adding the dehydrated green onions to the grinder, as they are so light, it helps the process of grinding it all down to a powder.

A "first" for us this year.  I think it would be great on homemade crackers, and just about anything else.

One year I ground green bell peppers.  It worked nicely, but would only make it when we have a huge harvest.  I only used it for one baked casserole dish.  It might be good for soups and stews.

I love to make, what we call "fire powder" by dehydrated a mix of hot peppers.  Our hot pepper harvest was not that good this year.


I love the jalapeno salt I made, and will continue to keep it next to the salt and pepper.  I use this one a lot.


I brought in more thyme and sage from the herb garden. I forgot to get photos, but I think I will work on keeping more fresh herbs indoors this winter.

Green Onion ~ Dehydrated and Ground  ©  November 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

You have been busy. I was wondering how those vacuum sealed jars worked and It sounds like you like them:)
Betsy said…
I can imagine how much flavor the dehydrated and ground spices add to food. Great idea!
Blessings,
Betsy
Far Side of Fifty, the jar vacuum sealer works great.
Betsy, thanks. They use less freezer space too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart