Skip to main content

This and That





We are enjoying our garden potatoes.  I use the really small ones for breakfast scrambles or for soups/stews.

New crockpot recipe tried - Beef Stew.  I cannot recall that I have ever made beef stew in the crockpot.  I have always used the oven.  I have to admit, I did not follow the recipe exactly, as it called for red wine.  I did not have any, and used additional beef broth and two tablespoons or organic red wine vinegar instead.  The one thing I will do different next time, is put the rosemary sprigs and bay leaves in a piece of cheesecloth tied with string (making removing them so much easier).


Peas were added in the end, and the seasoning was perfectly delicious.   Next time I will be adding some sourdough bread, rolls or biscuits with it.




Newest tea to try by itself, and as iced tea - Hibiscus.  I tasted and tried a small bottle of locally infused honey in the tea as well - Organic elderberry and hibiscus infused honey.  The honey itself tasted more of elderberry, but good.  It paired very nicely with the hibiscus tea.  Very pretty too.


Not a crockpot recipe, but a new breakfast recipe.  It was in a 22 year old cookbook I already had, and it's very similar to Rachael Ray's Cheddar and Green Chile Egg Casserole, but added ingredients, and it calls for Tabasco in place of chili peppers.  I used jalapenos, jalapeno salt, doubled it (expect the butter).  I used breakfast sausage.  It gives us breakfast for several days (no bread, no potatoes).  I thought I took a photo of the recipe for this post, but it has flown somewhere into cyber world.  


               
Regarding the blanket pattern for this lap sized afghan . . .
It is free and printable online with yarnspirations.  The pattern is here:  Free Easy Red Heart Lattice Lapghan (Yarnspirations).  I am using Red Heart color Aran, and an "I" hook (5.0mm).

We are researching on what type of brooder we want to build for the chicken coop. 

(not my photo)

We are collecting photos on possible builds for the brooder.  It will be built inside the actual chicken coop, so we'll also need access to electricity (or solar if available, as we have not looked into it yet).  


Comments

Betsy said…
Thank you for the pattern! I think it will made a great prayer shawl too with a few adjustments to size. Your beef stew sounds delicious. I've never made stew in the oven but always use the crockpot. Just opposite of you.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
I enjoy hibiscus tea for both the flavor and the color.
I made beef stew last week - yum. Tonight it’s baked potato soup with crispy bacon, green onions and sour cream and chives.
Betsy, you are welcome. That's funny about crockpot beef stew. I guess when the kids were all home, I used to make a bigger pot of it.
Anne in the kitchen, yes, the color is beautiful.
Debby, potato soup sounds wonderful.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart