Skip to main content

Happy Homemaker Monday

 It's been a long time since I participated in Happy Homemaker Monday.  I apologize for the length of it.  I tend to get a bit chatty and blabber on a bit with these posts.



Today I am joining Sandra with Happy  Homemaker Monday. 


The weather . . .
Cold!  Sunday we got down to 27 degrees, our first hard freeze, and rain.  


It's 18 degrees and snow arrived.

Right now I am . . . 
Brewing coffee, and writing this post.


Thinking and pondering . . .
Spring home projects/repairs, chicken brooders, volunteering...fun winter activities.


How I am feeling . . . 
Overall, good, but frustrated with those who cannot "listen" and I have to repeat myself over and over and over (not my husband ha ha! He's a great listener).  I have really learned from this, to be a much better listener.


On the breakfast plate . . .
Have no idea yet.


On the menu . . .
-(new recipes to try), crock pot mac n' cheese
-crockpot flank steak tacos (new recipe to try)
-Salmon, stuffed acorn squash (new recipe)


On my reading pile . . .

1.  A lot of crockpot and sheet pan dinner cookbooks from the library (working on new, easy dinners for the next few months).  I have never had the "need" for a crockpot breakfast, but I'm looking into those as well.

2.  Non-fiction (trying to get a few pages in a day).  Interesting, but the authors continuous references to war or military are monotonous (hence 2 pages a day, ha ha!).

3. Fiction
(forgot to take a photo).


On my TV this week . . .
Anything that brings laughter.


Looking around the house . . .
Looking good, and I managed to clean up a pile of paperwork, but found about two dozen printed new recipes to try.  How does that happen?  Sheesh.  I thought I found them all.  I now use my phone to try the recipe first anymore.  If it's a keeper I then either write it down or print it (no more recipe piles for me).  I do have a pile of free magazines from the library to read.

To-do list for the week . . .
-make a new breakfast
-sweep and mop floors
-dust
-one doctor appointment this week
-return books to the library


What I am creating . . . 

Finished this lap afghan for a future donation.



I was given some yarn recently, and there are at least 21 skeins of Red Heart aran yarn in the mix.  Yes, 21 of them.


I started a new lap afghan pattern with the aran colored yarn, and should use up 4 skeins to make it.  It is my "travel" or "on the go" project for now.  It's one color of yarn, and the pattern is very easy to memorize, so "on the go" is perfect for this blanket.



From the camera . . .

Updated photo of my crocheted "Book Blanket" I am making.  If you haven't seen my first posts on this, you can see it HERE and another post HERE.  I crochet a granny square, with scrap yarn, with my best ability to match the colors of the book cover.  The granny squares are crocheted onto the blanket (a join as I go project).  The photo is 40 completed books with 40 matching granny squares.  We'll see what I get attached by the end of 2025.


Devotional, Prayers, Bible Verses . . .
A few prayer requests:  

Abby, a daughter to folks we know, who was in a car accident and in the hospital unconscious.  They cut some of her skull to relieve pressure, and have plans to slowly remove her from sedation and eventually move her to acute long term facility.

Larry, adult friend of a family member who recently suffered serious seizures.  We are told he takes medication for seizures, and the cause is not known. He had a seizure recently, while driving to work, which put him in the hospital.

Myself.  God knows the details.


Comments

Betsy said…
I enjoyed this post a lot. I haven't been reading a whole lot, there never seems to be enough hours in the day to read much. Would you be willing to share the. new planet pattern. It looks like a fun one to make for donation. And that was a VERY generous gift of yarn. I wish I could discover a benefactor like that. Such a blessing for sure. I miss JoAnn's and their nearly weekly sales on Big Twist yarn. Michaels carry's it now but it's much more expensive.
Enjoy your Monday.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Oh I love that granny squares quilt. Wow snow already and you're already thinking of Spring? We've been enjoying mild spring type weather for the past week, but rain is due toward the end of the week.
R's Rue said…
Happy Monday. Love it.
Wendi said…
I've found steel cut oats in the crock pot to be easy and tasty.
Luludou said…
Sending positive thoughts to your friends in need. I like the idea of a book blanket but I do like to crochet 'mindlessly' or as you call it for travel . The slow cooker cookbook looks interesting. Glad to see you posting. Have a great week
Betsy, yes, I will get that blanket pattern to share. I am pretty sure I got it online free. Yes, yarn is very expensive at Michaels. I have had to go to Walmart and hope to find what I need or order on Amazone lately. Herrschners yarns online is also a go-to for me, but I have to have many projects in mind to get the free shipping too.
Debby, I just like having somewhat of a plan for getting things done or what needs done, so we can still plan retreats or even picnic days and such. Thanks, it's been fun to crochet the granny squares.
Wendi, thanks. I completely forgot about steel cut oats. I will be getting a notebook started to give me reminders ha ha!
Luludou, it's been fun borrowing books from the library again. I seem to go to a stop during garden season. I am hoping to try some recipes in the next month or so too. Yes, it's much easier to crochet one color and a pattern that needs no pattern brought along too. Maybe a measuring tape, scissors and yarn needle, but easy is great for traveling.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart