Skip to main content

Lima Bean Hummus

 


I found it very difficult to find a selection of any lima bean recipes.  I asked around, and only one person I know ate them as a kid, and not ever as an adult.  

I purchased canned lima beans in the Amish area we visit this year.  They are very hard to find around our area for some reason.  I have had them sitting around waiting to try.  

I used them to make hummus.   Delicious!!


(source:  Google images)

I did not cook the lima beans, as I do not when I use chickpeas, but I may try cooking them next time (to see if it would be creamier, and/or cook from dried beans).  I do not mind the texture regardless, and it tastes just like chickpeas in my own hummus recipe.  Of course, I used home grown garlic, and it makes it the absolute best flavor.

I just swapped out the chickpeas for the canned lima beans (rinsed and drained), and it was fantastic.

My traditional hummus RECIPE.

Red Lentil Hummus

In the past we have tried beet hummus, black bean hummus, pumpkin hummus, green bell pepper hummus, white bean hummus and others.  I think the only one yet we have not tried is sweet potato hummus.  


Lima Bean Hummus  ©  November 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart


Comments

Jackie said…
I just made hummus for the second time and love how this batch turned out. I may have to try with lima beans next time.

God bless.
Jackie, I would have never thought to use Lima beans, but it is very good. Even my husband loves it. I guess I'll be on the look out for either organic dried lima beans or canned next year.
Leigh said…
Interesting comparison of chickpeas and lima beans. I hated lima beans when I was a kid and never eat them now. But I'd be interested in trying your hummus recipe.
Leigh, my Mom never cooked lima beans, so it's interesting that they are so hard to find and find good recipes for.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart