Skip to main content

Using a Spiralizer and Garden Basil Pesto

 


I tried another new crockpot recipe, and we loved it.   The only thing I discovered, is my crockpot "low" setting is pretty hot, and I can lower the cook time on this, and it lacks "color" due to the homemade basil pesto.  We think adding some red bell pepper next time would be nice.  

Also, it did not make a lot.  It's about a 3-4 serving dish, but it ended up a 3 serving for us, ha ha.  I would double this for leftovers.

What is it?

Chicken with Zucchini Noodles and Basil Pesto

Where is the recipe from?

                         

I prefer to cook my raw chicken separately, and not with other vegetables, when it comes to crockpot cooking.  It's just me.  I cooked the chicken the day before (in the crockpot), shredded it and cooled it (recipe called for chicken breast sliced).

I simply added the chicken at the end of cooking, as well as grated parmesan cheese, because I froze our homemade basil pesto without the cheese this last time.

We thought it was so filling too, and wow, so healthy.

I bought a new hand crank spiralizer about a year ago, and I (gulp) finally used it.  Wow, it is so much easier than the little gizmo I used to use.

Advice:  Grow an herb garden.  Even if you have to grow it in pots.  You will have so many options for your meals, medicinal options, and you will have so much fun in the process.  I'm considering teaching classes for herb gardening, but the actual classes to be "certified" in any way, per say, are expensive.

Using a Spiralizer and Garden Basil Pesto ©  November 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Katie C. said…
Don’t the zoodles get mushy cooking in the crockpot?
Betsy said…
That sure sounds good. I have a little hand held spiralizer and it's a real pain to use. So I don't use it much at all. In fact, I don't remember the last time. Ha!
Blessings,
Betsy
Carol said…
My mother in law had one of those spiralizers, but I don't think she ever used it. I bet it is still in her kitchen and I know her husband does not use it. I might check it out. I love my crockpot meals!
Katie C, the zoodles kept their shape, but I feel my "low" setting was even too hot for the length of time to cook. I would reduce cook time for this recipe, but we loved it.
Betsy, I had a hand held one too, and like you, it was a pain to use. All that twisting. The one I have now is super easy and very quick. Easy to clean too. I did notice that it leaves a small bit of zucchini after I spiralize a piece, but you can simply slice it up, or like me, I treated my chickens with the tiny bit that did was left.
Carol, I am so glad I found this recipe to try, because it required my spiralizer to use. We loved this recipe.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart