Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, January 28, 2024

Colorful Cleaning Cloths ~ What to Make with Scrap Cotton Yarn

  

What to do with Cotton Yarn Scraps

Do you remember me asking about what to do with my cotton yarn scraps?  

Ideas were:

-Facial scrubbies

I made a few for our travel case.  These dry quicker, and are great to take when camping or traveling.  I do take a crocheted makeup cloth when traveling now.  

-cup/mug coasters 


I made a few random cup coasters.  These are great for a warm mug, but not good for anything cold that causes condensation on a cold cup.  The condensation will make the cotton wet, and could ruin whatever surface they are on.  

-lip balm covers

I made a few many years ago, and the kids put them on their school backpacks.  I never sold any.


If you don't crochet, you may find this post boring today.

Other than donate the scraps of yarn, I decided to crochet up some cleaning cloths.  These could also be used as washcloths.  I used the same pattern I use for the makeup washcloths, but with the cotton scraps leftover from other projects (these are all cotton, not acrylic).  It requires more ends to be sewn in, so I will be testing them out with cleaning cloths.

I saved the pattern, placed it in the binder, but I'm terrible and keeping notes.  The original pattern says to use an "I" hook, and I can't remember if I used "H" or "I" for the makeup cloths.  So......the one above was an "H" hook with cotton yarn.  I compared the two, and it appears I did use an "H" hook.  Just in case you use the pattern.


I did however, adjust the original pattern for a longer cloth, when I made the black makeup washcloths.  I added a row.  They are about 8 x 10 inches before washing/drying them.  

The original pattern states they will be larger if you use the "I" hook.

Colorful Cleaning Cloths ~ What to Make with Scrap Cotton Yarn © Jan 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

6 comments:

Leigh said...

Great ideas for scrap yarn!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Leigh, I will probably give the kids some cleaning cloths too.

Carol said...

I love this idea, but do not crochet. Do you sell these?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Carol, I do not sell them. I will only have a few from these scraps.

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

That's super. I knit a lot of socks, and others have given me fingering weight scraps of wool yarn. I am knitting hats with the scraps.
Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage,
Laura

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mrs. Laura Lane, that is nice you get scraps to knit hats with. Great idea.